Pomp and Circumstance

Only one chapter left ;)

~3rd Person~

On this day, Students become legendary. They get to walk across the stage in all their glory and be honored for all the hard work they put in over the last four years. Today was their day. 

Unfortunately, we find Gabriel in a heated debate with his brother on this beautiful morning. 

"Gabriel, if you're wearing a blue cap and gown just wear a black-tie!" Angel shouted from one side of the room.

"But doesn't red look better?" Gabriel replied hopelessly.

"Can you both shut up? I think black is better, the red literally serves no purpose, you wanna look like the American flag or something?" Analisa shouted while laying on the couch.

"Period," Angel said as he buttoned up his shirt. Gabriel sighed and began tying the tie around his neck. 

He fiddled around with it and couldn't seem to get it to tie correctly. He sighed in defeat and ripped off the tie in frustration. 

He watched as someone picked up the tie from the floor and looked at him. He slowly felt his airway start to close up. 

"Ms. Davis, Hi." He said nervously. 

"You don't have to be nervous around me, I just thought since you don't have anyone here you'd like the support." She stated as she started to tie the tie around his neck perfectly.

"Before my ex and I had Ivy, we had a son, and I would always tie his little baby ties. Unfortunately, my baby fell dangerously ill and he passed away. We mourned his death but a year later we decided to try again. I ended up pregnant with Ivy. But, he wanted a son in hopes that he could have that father-son relationship. When I was six months pregnant with Ivy, I came home from work and saw that all of his things were packed and he had left me." She said.

"I-i'm sorry..." He said as he was confused as to why she was telling him all this in the first place. 

"Well, when Ivy was born he was at the hospital and he did actually make a commitment to see us and spend time with us. For a good four years, it felt like we were actually a family. He would come from work and bring us dinner and we would all sit in the living room and watch Disney movies until Ivy fell asleep. But when she turned 13 that all ended when he found a new woman and started a family with her. It was almost as if he forgot he had a whole other family." 

She turned him to face the mirror and rested her chin on his shoulder. "I'm here for you, and I know you probably miss your mom and maybe even your dad but you're never alone, You have me." 

He smiled as a tear slid down his face slowly. He missed his family before things got rough, he had a good family. If things never changed, his mom would probably be rushing around by now trying to get everyone ready. His dad would probably be helping him tie his tie and at the end of the graduation, his parents probably would've thrown a huge fiesta for him with the whole family there, cousins, aunts, uncles, everyone. But, things have changed, he really hasn't heard from his family since his mom passed. 

They were alone. He knew that. He accepted that.

Ivy's mom smiled at him as he placed his cap and gown over his freshly pressed black dress pants and white shirt. 

"Well, this is it." He said quietly as he looked in the mirror.

"Let's go." She said as she walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ride to the outdoor Pavillion was uneventful. As he stepped out the car he spotted Ivy sitting at a nearby bench, waiting.