Chapter 5

(Penelope's point of view)

Waking up with a major hungover I look over to my alarm clock to see its 2:00 pm of the next day. I guess I skipped school. Getting up slowly as to not make my head hurt, I walk down stairs to see Jane in the living room watching TV. "Hey peaches," I say as a greeting but only get a nod. Laughing while shaking my head I know she doesn't want to speak as to not miss a part of her favorite show. Knowing that she probably missed school because nobody could take her I make it up by cooking her lunch because she probably made herself breakfast. When I'm done I call her over so she could eat it.

"So what's new today?" I say with hope that she could take my mind off Ethan. "Well yesterday in class my teacher told us that if we are in Girl Scouts we have to sell at least 50 cookie boxes by next Friday." Having nothing else to do I say, "Do you want to start today? We can go sell them next to the park." I say with enthusiasm. "Oh can we, please." She says. Nodding I laugh at how happy she looks by going to sell cookies. A memory from back in the day comes to me about me going out and selling cookies with my parents but I push it away as to not ruin the mood.

When we're done with lunch I washed the dishes while Jane cleans the table. When we're both done we go to our rooms to change. As to not attract to much heat I put on a white tank top shirt with my short denim shorts. I pair it up with my black converse, my leather jacket, and my black fingerless gloves. Fixing my short hair that stops a bit below my shoulder, I decide to leave it loose. Putting on my lipstick and a bit of waterproof foundation to cover up my bruise from yesterday, I feel ready to leave.

Walking out my room and down the stairs I see Jane in the living room with a black floral dress. She was so pretty so no doubt that when she gets older she's gonna be pulling guys. Laughing at myself I walk closer to her and see her packing everything we are going to need in her wagon. "You can't forget the table and chairs for us to sit in, Jane." I say while going to our garage and putting them in the wagon. When we're done I take the wagon in one hand and Jane's in my other hand tightly as not to lose her.

Walking towards the spot where we're going to sell the cookies at I start by placing the tables and chairs down. Then Jane starts to put the cookies in rows and some samples so some people could try them. And with that we were ready to start.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

After an hour of being here we have sold about 20 boxes leaving us around 30 to sell so Jane could pass the teachers goal.

Feeling someone poking me in my shoulder I turn to see Jane trying to tell me something. "Can I go play in the playground?" Says Jane with hope in her little eyes. "Um...I just..." letting out a breath, when I see her eyes full with tears "sure you can go play but please be careful ok? If anybody comes near you and tries to do something, what do you have to say?" I ask expecting her to know the answer to the question I always ask her. "I scream for help." She says with a bored tone. Kissing her forehead I gently push her in the direction of the playground.

After 10 minutes of no one coming I decide to check my phone. It's 3:18 meaning that many people are still in school at this time. Looking at the playground I see Jane swinging in the swings looking happy. Looking down at my phone, I see what many people my age do. Some are hanging out with friends, others are going to parties. Not really caring how different my life is from them, I keep scrolling through Instagram.

Out of nowhere, this great aroma of pine hits me face first. I look up from my phone and see a guy I have never seen before looking straight at me. I can see his electric green eyes from about a couple of blocks away. I see he has the body of someone who goes to a gym everyday. His muscles aren't over dramatic but they aren't small either. Shaking my head, I try to get him off my mind I'm not in the right state of mind to be in any kind of a relationship. Scrolling through my Instagram the smell is more intense. I try not to look up because i can feel him near me. "What do you want?" I say with displeasure in my voice because of how I feel near him. As if I can trust him and as if I could cry on his shoulder and tell him everything that I hate about my life.

"Mine," is all the stranger growls (which is concerning thinking about it) while looking at me.

"Excuse me, what did you say?" I feel rage boiling inside me because he thinks he can call me his when I just met him. But at the same time his deep muscular voice makes me want to get up and go near him.

"What are you doing here, beautiful?" He says with a loving expression.

"Im selling Girl Scout cookies, what else am I going to be doing with a table full of cookies and don't call me beautiful." I say with annoyance in my voice.

Laughing at my response he smiles even wider. "Aren't you a bit old to be selling cookies?" He says with true confusion in his face.

"It doesn't matter what age I am, if I'm 53 and I want to sell cookies then I can, you don't merely have to be a little kid," I say with anger in my voice that he thinks I'm to old to sell cookies.

"My bad I didn't mean to sound rude." He says with a genuine expression. Coming closer he touches my hand that was on the table and I feel shocks. I quickly pull my hand away from his and see a hurt expression on his face. Deciding I need to leave this instant I start packing everything. "Where are you going?" He asks.

"I'm leaving. And by the way-" before I could finish my sentence I remember Jane. I quickly turn around to the playground remembering that she wasn't with me. Looking at the swing she was playing in, I don't see her there. "Jane! Jane where are you?" I ask desperately. My sister was gone. I forget about packing everything and run to the playground. Feeling tears form in my eyes I scream for her again, "Jane! Jane please answer me!" I say with need in my voice. I look around the playground and feel tears running down my face.

After a couple of seconds of me running around I panic more. "JANE!" I yell again but louder this time. After a couple of seconds I hear a quiet voice calling my name. Running to where I hear her voice come from I see her in between the woods that are next to the playground.

Running full speed at her. I pick her up and cry in her shoulder. "Jane I told you this multiple times," I say with hurt in my voice. "Don't go anywhere without me. Did someone take you?" I put her down immediately and start checking her for any cuts, scratches, or bruises.

"Penny I'm fine. I just though I saw someone in the woods." I exhale a breath and hug her tightly.

"Just please don't do that again you scared the living crap out of me." I say with a demanding tone. When she nods her understandings, I hold her hand even more tightly than ever and turn around. Because of what just happened I forgot that I was with someone.

"Hey is everything ok?" The hot stranger asks with concern written all over his face. I nod and try to wipe the tears from my eyes. Getting up and taking Jane by the hand we walk rapidly to the stand we were at previously. Picking everything up and putting it in the wagon, we start walking home.

"Are you gonna tell me where you're going?" Asks the stranger who was following us. As we started to walk faster to lose him ,he started to also walk faster. Getting tired that he couldn't get the hint I decide to be bitchy.

"Look I don't know who you are or why you want to know me but I advice you to leave us alone before I call the police on you," taking a pause to gain more air, I see him starting to talk again but I speak before any word could come out his mouth. "My dad works at the police station and I could easily tell him to file a restraining order, so go home and leave me alone." That wasn't a complete lie because my dad did work there before he died. Before he could process what I said I start walking faster causing for Jane to end up being dragged. Quickly entering the house and locking it after me, I feel as if I didn't want to leave his side. As if I want to go and run into his arms and ask him for forgiveness. As if part of my heart was ripped away. Shaking my head, I get rid of my thoughts and turn around to get the scare of my life.