Chapter 26

(Penelope's Point of View)

I was driving to Mable's house. No matter how much I hated her right now I was trying to get my sister back. Who was I kidding though? Mabel was the only mother figure I had after my mother sadly passed away. Of course, like a normal daughter I did happen to be quite rebellious, but it didn't stop the motherly love I had for her deep down. I knew that there would never be enough things or gestures I could do that would repay her for everything that she did for me and Jane. But I knew that our relationship wouldn't go back to normal until I had my younger sister back.

I got off my bike and knocked on her door. After a couple seconds she opens the door sees it's me and moves aside to let me in. The aroma of freshly baked goods that only ones grandma could recreate hit my nose straight forward and I could only assume that some people would be used to that smell. That they would come from school and not even bother about it but since I never really knew my grandparents from both sides I could only imagine.

"I see you came later than normal. Why is that?" Says Mabel while walking back to the kitchen. I follow her and see Jane sitting on the table reading a book. She looks up at me and gives me a big smile. I smile back at her and lean down to kiss her forehead. She continues reading her book while I talk to Mabel.

"I actually went to school today." I say nonchalantly while putting a strawberry from the assortment of fruits from the tray in my mouth. A range of fruits from sliced watermelon to small grapes littered the table.

Mabel turns around quickly and looks at me shocked. "You finally went to school?" I nod my head and sit down next to Jane. "How are you doing in your classes?" She says going back to making her food.

"I'm failing some classes but I got a tutor so I should get them up before I graduate." I say distracted looking at Jane. Mabel nods her head before placing her plate of food on the table and sitting down to eat. "I do have a request though." I say looking at Mabel.
She looks at me and nods indicating she is listening. "I want to take Jane back home with me." Jane quickly looks up at me and has a huge smile on her face. She looks at Mabel as Mabel looks back at me.

"I don't know, Penelope." She says with uncertainty written all over her face. "You just started school and I'm not sure if you'll go back to your old ways." I look at her and put my right hand out as if making a deal.

"I promise I won't do the same stupid things I did. But I hope you still get to come over and take care of Jane while I work and do school. Of course if it helps in any way you can spoil her, since I know she's like a daughter to you. Just do me a favor and don't buy her everything she wants or she'll become entitled." I say with a small smile. After I said those words a little "Hey!" came from Jane and all I could do was laugh as I know she heard me. Mabel looks at me for a while and shakes my hand closing this deal. I hug her and whisper a thank you feeling actually grateful for being able to take Jane with me.

I turn around and see Jane run at me. Her small arms wrap around my legs as she giggles. I crouch down and hug her back. "We're going home." I whisper to her ear. She gives me a huge smile. One that seems to make her already beautiful features lighten up more. "You'll just have to stay here today and tomorrow morning I'll come pick you up ok?" I say.

She nods her head aggressively with her huge smile and runs up the stairs while saying behind herself. "I'll go pack." I yell a quick ok with a small laugh and turn to see Mabel with a smile of my own.

"Ya really are the best siblings." I nod my head and look down at my hand with a faint smile.

"It's just her and me against the world." I look back up at her and see she has tears in her eyes.