Chapter 9

Aaliyah opened her eyes. It was still night, so she looked around the room. Jameel was lying there, in the chair next to her bed, holding her hand. Aaliyah unfolded her hand, and kissed his cheek. "I love you" she whispered, then ran away. She got to the hallway before a voice called stop. Aaliyah froze. Jameel ran up to her. "Oh my god Aaliyah, it's really you." Aaliyah secretly wept as Jameel hugged her.

"What happened Aaliyah? Why did you leave me? Wasn't I enough for you? Wasn't my love enough?" Aaliyah tried to leave but Jameel wouldn't let her. "No! Not until you have answered my questions. Wasn't our love enough for you that you left?"

"I told you everything in the letter."

"But I don't believe that letter. Those things you wrote, they were never you."

"Maybe you don't know me as well as you think you do."

"No, I know my Aaliyah. My Aaliyah was never interested in my money. She taught me money wasn't everything, and how to live life fully. She changed me."

"Maybe I'm not your Aaliyah anymore. Maybe money matters to me now."

Aaliyah was about to say something else, when she collapsed. Luckily Jameel caught her in time. He carried her to her bed. "Aaliyah wouldn't leave me like that. Something must have happened to make her, but what?"