Chapter 13

Aaliyah was in her room, silently weeping. Just then, she got a text from Chammi telling her not to be late, and she was waiting for her. Aaliyah sighed. She had some papers, that her boss wanted Chammi to sign. Might as well get that done Aaliyah thought. Aaliyah put on some simple clothes, and went.

The house was lavishly decorated  from the outside. Well they've certainly gone all out Aaliyah thought. Aaliyah hesitated at the door. Can I do this she thought? She pulled herself together and stepped inside. Memories flooded her as she walked in. Her happy ones with Jameel, and some memories of uncomfortable times with his dad. She knew his dad didn't like her, but this much? What had she ever done to him? All she had done was fall for Jameel. She had tried not to, because his dad had made it clear he didn't approve, but love didn't follow rules or reason. It just happened.

"Aaliyah" screamed Jameels mum, causing everyone to look up. Aaliyah ran to Jameels mum and hugged her. Unlike her husband, she had always been lovely to Aaliyah. Aaliyah really liked her.

"Why did you just suddenly disappear? Where did you go? Not even a goodbye."

"I'm sorry auntie", Aaliyah said, trying to avoid eye contact with Jameel, "something urgent came up. I had to go."

"Are you back for good?"

"I don't think so. I just need to sort out the company I work for, their office here. After that, who knows?"

Aaliyah went to Chammi on the stage, and asked her to sign the papers. Aaliyah tried not to look at Jameel, but every time she caught his eye, she quickly looked away. Aaliyah quickly excused herself and walked away. Her eyes were wet with tears, as she walked out. Jameels mum quickly followed her

"Aaliyah stop."

"What's wrong auntie?" asked Aaliyah wiping away her tears

Jameels mum came and stood in front of her. "The people in there might have brought your story, because they don't know you. But I do. Your not like this. Are you going to tell me the real reason?"

"I just did."

"Ok, say I believe you, but what was that?"

"What was what?"

"When you and Jameel were looking at each other. I noticed it, even if no one else did. The love that was silent, the mouths didn't say anything, but the eyes said everything. You both love each other so much, then why are you both doing this to each other?"

"I explained everything in my letter to Jameel."

"Yes you did. Only problem is I don't believe that letter and neither does he."

"It's ok auntie. He's moved on now. Who am I to deny him happiness?"

"But he's not. I'm his mum Aaliyah, I can tell. He tries to hide his pain, but I can see behind the mask. He fell hard for you."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Give my son his happiness back"