Chapter 26

Aaliyah was trying to move on with her life. She had resigned from the job as soon as they got back. She had a new job now. But she knew she'd never get over him. This was the second time she had left him, and it hurt just as much. Maybe more this time.  She just hoped he was happy with Chammi, and was no longer upset at her. She prayed for his happiness, something that he wasn't allowed to get with her, due to his dad. She wished she could see him, one last time, but he was probably married now, and she hated Chammi. She prayed to God to forgive Chammi for ruining her life, and prayed no one else would ever meet a Chammi in their life, who would ruin it, due to her selfish ways and her ego. In Aaliyah's mind, Chammi was a lost soul, who had always got what she wanted, and didn't know how to deal with rejection, when Jameel rejected her. So she did what was natural to her, and had got him, no matter what. Aaliyah felt sorry for chammi in a way. It was obvious something in her childhood had gone wrong, that's why she couldn't deal with rejection.

Still, Aaliyah tried to push it to the back of her mind. She went about every day with a smile, to show everyone she was ok. She might of fooled everyone, but not her family. They knew how tough it was for her, being apart from Jameel. Aaliyah would insist she was fine, and had made the right choice for her family. Aaliyah needed to believe it herself, to justify leaving everything but most importantly leaving Jameel. Aaliyah came home one day from work, tired. She went upstairs and collapsed on her bed, softly weeping. Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in" said Aaliyah, drying her eyes. Aaliyah's mum came and sat on her bed. "Busy day?" "Yes, I'm exhausted." "Listen Aaliyah, soon it's a special girl's birthday. So, what does the special girl want to do?"  "Mum, I'm not special." "Maybe you don't think so, but to a mother all her children are special." "I don't want to do anything. It's just another day in my life." "But you used to love your birthday when you were little. You used to start planning weeks in advance, and give me and your dad a big list of presents." "Well mum, I'm not the same little girl anymore. Everything is different now. Life has changed your Aaliyah." Aaliyah's mum sighed. Aaliyah was taking it worse this time. She left Aaliyah to her thoughts, and went downstairs.

Aaliyah's mind drifted back to a happy time. Jameel would make such a big deal on her birthday. She smiled, remembering this. Does he even remember my birthdays coming up, she thought? But then again, why would he? He's happily married now. Why would he care or think about his ex? She let her mind wander as she remembered how Jameel used to spoil her on her big day.