Toni's Family Tragedy

I was on my way to Toni's house to tell her how I felt. When I woke up this morning, I told myself "Harry, it's time to tell Toni how you feel". So I got dressed, got in my car and started driving to Toni's house. I could no longer walk to Toni's because I moved out and got an apartment, but I lived right around the corner just to stay close to Toni.

The second I started up my car I got a phone call from Toni. I answered and I could barely understand her. Something had happened, and something told me that she really needed me. 

"Hello?" I asked answering my phone.

"Harry," She cried.

"What is it Toni? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked worriedly. It worried me whenever she cried. Toni never cried unless something tragic happened, and hearing her voice crack over the phone just shattered my heart.

"Lucy....she...she...the car....she was on her bike....and...and...she was..." Toni started saying. I couldn't understand a single word she was saying or figure out what she was trying to say. 

"Toni, I'm on way. Just stay at home, I'll be there in ten minutes." I said hanging up my phone and sped up my car to get to Toni's house. Her family was practically my second family. I treated them as if they were my own family. I helped them with their chores, I helped around the house, I decorated during the holidays....I was part of their family and they were very heartwarming about it.

I drove to Toni's house as fast as I could. Just thinking that something had possibly happened to Toni's little sister, Lucy, terrified me. She was the sweetest ten-year-old I had known. She was very sweet, loving and kind. Very gentle and comforting. She was very much like Toni, and just knowing something happened to her worried me just as much as it worried Toni and her family.

I got to Toni's house and the first thing I had noticed was an ambulance, a car with a huge dent in the front and a messed up bike right underneath the wheel. The bike right underneath the wheel of the car happened to be Lucy's. It all made sense now. Thinking back to Toni's phone, she had tried telling me that Lucy had been hit by a car.

Looking around for Toni, I had saw her sitting on the grass, her legs brought up to her chest, her face buried in her legs and her crying her heart out. I parked my car on the other side of the road so it wouldn't interfere with the ambulance. I stepped out of my car and made my way over to the other side of the street and over to Toni.

I sat down right beside Toni, wrapped my arms around her and began rubbing her back. She didn't know that I had come already, but as soon as I sat next to her, she knew it was me because she laid her head on my chest and began crying.