epilogue.

You are the highlight of my life
You are the sunshine in my night
Oh how, oh how, oh, how do I
Ever repay you
Never would have made it
Never would have made it without you
| Teyana Taylor - Never Would Have Made It

You are the highlight of my lifeYou are the sunshine in my nightOh how, oh how, oh, how do IEver repay youNever would have made itNever would have made it without you| Teyana Taylor - Never Would Have Made It

one year later

one year later...

Readjusting the strap of her backpack on her shoulder, Remi marched down the hall of the hospital with a sigh. Her junior year of high school was coming to a close which meant all of two things: preparing for last minute SAT's and mental breakdowns taking over her body. All she really wanted at this moment was her bed, not the smell of latex and bad hospital food.

Still though, she made it her priority to go and see her grandfather. Every morning before school and every afternoon after school, she'd spend time with him. On the weekends she spent all day with him, and the nurses would allow her to bend hospital rules and spend the night—providing her with pillows and blankets meant for patients. Remi knew how much her grandfather hated being alone and she made it a priority to spend as much time as she could with him.

"Hey, Pa," she greeted her grandfather when she reached his room, setting her bag down on the table and walking over towards his bed.

"Hey princess," Elliot greeted her with a weak smile. His voice was much less scratchier than it was the day before and that made Remi happy.

"How do you feel today?" Remi questioned. Instinctively, she felt around his head for a temperature, and everything felt pretty normal.

"I feel better. Feel just a little dizzy, and have a headache but that's nothing unusual. I feel good overall," Elliot's smile was wider this time, "Can't you tell? Don't I look better?"

Remi let out a little laugh before nodding her head as a response. For an old man dying of cancer, he did look pretty good today. She peered down and noticed the muscles in his arm twitch, but didn't say anything—instead just made a mental note of it.

"How was school?" Elliot questioned as Remi pulled up a chair to sit next to his bedside. Both of their eyes were zeroed in on the small television in front of them, as they watched the Yankees game unfold on the screen.