Chapter 28: Moment with Uma

Heidi's POV

Harry and I walk back into the house as we see Evie and Uma sitting next to each other eating some of Jane's birthday cake, "I need to talk to Uma, and I need to do it alone." I say to Harry who looks at me weird at first knowing that Uma and I never have had areal friendship, but instead of saying anything he just simple nods his head and walks into the other room. "That was a really good idea, to check my dorm room." I comment trying to break some of the tension between us. "Now, we know that we're on the right track." Uma look over at me with the same weird expression on her face that Harry had moments ago. 

"Is there an insult in there that I missed?" Uma asks in a nasty tone but I just smile and let out a little laugh because given our history I can't say that I blame her. "Just wanted to thank you. Evie looks at me as she gets off her chair and walks into the other room leaving Uma and I alone. I cautiously sit down next to her as I take a piece of the cake, "You talked to Harry?" Uma ask take a bite of her cake as she looks at me. I nod my head taking my own bite of my cake, "Yeah, it went as good as I thought it would, mostly just glad that it is over." Uma just nods her head as the two of us take another bite of our cake.

"I don't know whose birthday it is, but I want this cake." Uma smiles at me and I chuckle as Uma and I start to sort of get along. "Uma I need to know something." Uma looks up at me, "I always wondered what I did to make you hate me so much." Uma look away from me and down at her cake taking a deep breath,"I don't hate you, but I wouldn't say that I like you either." I put my fork down on my plate, "Then why did you treat me like you did when I was on the isle." Uma just stares at me with a look on her face that tells me that I should know that answer without her having to tell me,

"You really never figured it out?" I shake my head as Uma lets out a sigh putting her fork down, "The truth is that I treated you like that because I saw what everyone else saw, you were never really a true villain Heidi, you were never like the rest of us." I tilt my head to the side confused on what Uma is saying, "I grew up on the Isle just like everyone else did Uma, and that includes you." Uma takes a bite of her cake nodding her head, "That is true, but the deeper truth is that there has always been a bit of Auradon inside of you,and at the time I hated seeing those qualities in you." I run my fingers through my hair never knowing this, "Heidi you are a villain but you are also loving, fair, nice, brave, intelligent, protective, loyal, very short-tempered,emotional at times, caring, sweet, and gentle."

I takes Uma's hand in mine and smile at her, "I might be all those things Uma,but if you look closer at yourself then you would see that you share some of those qualities too." Uma just rolls her eyes smiling at me as I let go of her hand and grab a piece of cake with my finger and putting it in my mouth as Uma and I smile at each other. Out of the blue wooden boards start covering the outside of the house. Uma and I get up and start looking for a way out but all the exits seem blocked, "Mal!" I yell making sure that all four of us were still okay, "We're trapped!" Mal yells running over to us as Evie, Doug, and Harry join us, "Are you guys okay? What's going on?" Evie asks as Mal stretches out her hands and her eyes start glowing green, "You've caused my friends pain and fear. We've had enough, now disappear!" Mal chants but her spell doesn't seem to work,

"You guys, I'm sorry. My spells aren't working. Hayden's magic is getting stronger." Mal says in a panic, and that is when I notice that Uma's shell necklace is glowing, "Uma, your necklace." I say point to it as Uma takes it out of her jacket, "Mal maybe to weak but if you and her combined powers it might be enough." Uma looks at me then to her shell necklace before stepping up beside Mal and taking her hand, ""You've caused my friends pain and fear. We've had enough, now disappear!" Mal and Uma chant together and the necklace stops glowing. Seconds later all the wooden boards around the house fall and the spell seems to have lifted.

"You did it!" Evie says walking up behind Uma and Mal, "Together." I say hugging Mal and Uma who just stare at each other, "This is what I've been talking about." I can see how happy Evie seems to be as Uma and Mal as well as Uma and I are all starting to let go of the past and start trying to be friends one another, "I guess my shell likes you." Uma says as Mal laughs softy placing her hand on her hip. Uma grab her necklace and pulls out my father's ember from inside the shell, "Why don't you hold on to that?" Uma says as she gently places the blue rock in my hand, "Thanks Uma." I smile at her as the two of us bump fists and crack a smile at each other.

Harry wanders over to the window and looks outside before turning to the rest of us, "Hey, looks like the other group found Ben." Mal who rushes outside as fast as she can.