Chapter 31: The Truth is Out

Heidi's POV

"Um." Mal starts letting out a sigh looking at each one of our faces, "I lied to you." Mal says which gets a look of confusion from all of us that isn't Ben, making me think that something else is going on here. "The kids won't be coming off the Isle." I look up at Harry who has a pissed off look on his face and I know that he was looking forward to seeing some of real Isle friends here in Auradon. "What do you mean?" Jay asks and I can hear the hurt in voice as he looks at Mal like she just stabbed him in the back. "The program is shut down. And the barrier will be closed for good." I look down at the ground feeling heartbroken for all those kids on the Isle that are just like me who just need a chance to prove themselves to the people of Auradon.

The sound of Harry grunting as he clutches his hook on his right hand tightly breaks me out of my daze, "For Auradon's safety." Ben says as I look at him,"Do you remember what you told me that day in the you and I talked when you were our prisoner?" Ben just slowly sighs as he nods his head, "You looked me in my eyes and told me that you were not your father, you said that you understood the pressure of trying to reach that bar parents place on their kids." I walk up to Ben and look him in his eyes as sadness shines in them,

"You told me that we all have a choice, that we don't have to be our parents, and that we all could have a better life then we think that we deserve." I punch Ben on the jaw so hard that he falls to the ground, "You told me that there is something special about everyone, and unless we try we will never know." Ben just stares at me, "Yet here you are giving up on people that need you the most. You are taking that choice away from kids that need that life line Ben!"I yell at him as he holds his jaw and looks at me wide eyed, 

"I was wrong to say that you are nothing like your dad, you are just like him Ben,instead of trying to protect the kids from the isle, you are just going to do what Adam did in the first place and leave them there to die." I say tears running down my face as Ben makes it back to his feet, "Hold up." Uma says as she looks at me before turning her attention to Mal and walks up to her, "So we're saving your precious people and your behinds for a lie." Uma looks at Mal with a saddened and disappointed look on her face, and right now I can't say that I am blame her,

"I knew it was a mistake to trust you." Uma just shakes her head as I see Clay make his way over to Ben and grab him by his jacket lifting him high into the air, "And you, King Benny." I can see the hurt and angry look in Clay's eyes and it is one that I have never seen before. Harry sighs and starts to head over to Clay and Ben but I put my arm out stopping him, "Let him go Hooky,these two are getting exactly what is coming to them." Harry just looks down at me and slightly nods his head as he steps back and wraps his arms around me trying to comfort me the best he can. "You're probably just gonna throw us all back inside." Clay says looking deep into the eyes Ben to show him just how much his and Mal's choices effect not just them but the people around them. 

"You know what? I actually thought that you were brave." I say walking away from Harry and up to Mal standing beside Uma, "You're nothing but a coward. Too scared to tell me I was never going to see my friends and family again." I say wiping some of the tears out of my eyes, "Heidi." I put my hand up to her, "I heard enough lies for one day, and if you think I am going to use my father's ember to help you out now, then you both are stupider then it was for Auradon to think that their new King and Queen would be any different than the others before them." I grip the ember tightly in my hand before starting to walk away."Heidi, Heidi, no!" Mal yells as I walk back over to Harry.

"Heidi!"Evie yells at me as I just shrug my shoulders at her, "No! No." Mal panics as she walks over to me but she doesn't get to close because Harry makes sure of it, "We have helped you out countless times, and you can't just turn your back on your home." I let out a little laugh as I stare deep into her green eyes,"Just like you did." Is all I say as Mal turns to look at Uma and Clay. Uma looks down at her shell necklace before looking back at Mal, "Bummer. Let's go find Gil and leave them all to rot." Uma growls as she looks Mal up and down before starting to walk off, "No." Mal says in a hush tone of voice as Clay starts to walk away to join Uma. "Uma!" Mal yells but Uma and Clay ignore her and keep on walking.

Mal turns around to face the rest of us and Evie walks up to her, "Evie, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, I just thought that. I was afraid to tell you. I thought I was gonna lose my best friend." Evie just looks at Mal with the same shocked expression on her face she has had since Mal announced that she was lying. "But I had to do something. I had to protect Auradon." Evie puts her finger up to Mal who stops talking right away, "Closing the barrier was your idea?" Evie asks looking at her friend like she doesn't notice who she is anymore. "I did it for us." We all look at each other wondering why Mal is trying to use us as a way of making herself sound good.

"I did it for our life that we have here now." I can tell that Evie can't take anymore of Mal trying to twist the truth, "For our life? What about the kids that we left behind on that island? The kids that we promised? We were their only hope." I can hear Evie's voice break as she starts to get emotional. "I thought you were gonna stand up for the V.K.'s." We all look at Mal with the same hurt look on our faces knowing that their kids on that rock that are just like us, and now they have no hope, and with the barrier closed it will turn the whole isle into another generation of villains. 

"But instead, you lied to them." Mal looks at Evie with regret but Evie has reached the point that she doesn't care, "And you lied to Jay." She says pointing to Jay, "And you lied to Heidi and Harry." Evie says pointing to us, "And you lied to Carlos." She points to Carlos, "And most of all you lied to me." Evie points to herself as tears run down her cheek and fall to the ground. "We're your family." Evie says as she backs away from Mal a little, "Evie." Mal says as her eyes fill up with tears. My ears perk up as the sound of familiar laughter fills the air, "Hayden." I say in a hush tone of voice.

"Evie, come on. I had no choice!" Mal yells out and get this strange feeling as I quickly shove Harry away from me and it was just in time because a second later there is a flash of light and the next thing I know I have been turned to stone. The ember slowly slips out of my hand and accidentally falls to the ground landing in a puddle of water.