chapter one

***NOT EDITED***

It was a clear night with not a cloud in the sky. The moon and stars shined brightly and it was beautiful to see all the trees and plants in the moonlight. My younger sister Alison and I have been on a searching trip for two days now and were planning to return in the morning. We were searching for tree groves and berry patches. We had found three new groves and five berry patches so it was a trip well spent. I took first watch while Alison used my lap as a pillow. She snored lightly which caused me to quietly chuckle. She always gets so mad if you accuse her of snoring. I thought of how my family all looks like each other except for me.

She, like our brother Daniel, took after our father. They all had sandy brown hair and bright green eyes. Alison's hair hung in waves down to her waist; she never even had to try to make it look nice it just fell naturally. Daniel's hair was shaggy and fell right below his ears. He had bangs that every now and again he would have to jerk his head to get them out of his eyes. Our father kept his hair short in a buzz cut. Daniel was twenty-one and stood at 6'5. He was built with muscular arms and had a six-pack that the village girls all swooned over, I on the other hand thought it was sickening. Alison was petite and short. She was thirteen and was about 3'11, but if you asked her she was adamant that she was 4 feet tall. She was skinny but with her pale complexion and sweet features she was beautiful. Our father was built just like Daniel but he was a couple inches shorter at 6'3. I on the other hand had straight brown hair that hung below my shoulders. No matter how hard I tried it just laid there straight and lifeless. I stood at 5'5 and hated that I wasn't taller. My height wasn't the thing I hated most about my body though. I am eighteen and do not have any curves what so ever. I am basically a women but I have hardly anything to prove it.

I was torn out of my thoughts by a twig snapping behind me. I gently eased Alison's head off my lap and stood up to investigate. As I made my way into the tree line I looked back to see a sleeping Alison, I didn't want to leave her alone but I had to find out if someone was nearby. I looked at her for a few more seconds then turned around back towards the tree line to have a hand slammed over my mouth and my body twirled around and pulled against someone. I couldn't see who had me as my back was to their chest. I could see however a sleeping Alison getting picked up by a tall man wearing a cloak with a huge hood so I couldn't see a face. I fought against my attacker but he showed no signs of loosening his grip.

"Well hello little pet we have been looking all over for you" the man's mouth was at my ear and his warm breath fanned my neck. His voice was low and smooth. It made chills run down my back.

"Now I am going to let my hand off your mouth but you are not going to talk unless I give you permission do you understand?" He whispered but his voice sounded deadly.

I nodded slightly and he released my mouth. "Just to make sure I have the right one tell me your name oh and the other one over there" he pointed to Alison "tell me its name too." The way he said it was like he was saying a word that disgusted him.

He pushed me away slightly but only to push me back against a tree where he towered over me. I could finally see who he was. He had on a cloak as well but the hood was on his back. He was tall at least 6'5 if not taller and he was muscular even more then Daniel and my father. His eyes were as black as night that matched his hair. He had pale skin which made his hair look like ink dripping onto his face. He had a strong jaw that was tensed as he looked me over from head to toe.

"I am not a very patient man, Pet, tell me what your name is" he barked.

"Caroline. My name is Caroline and my sister's name is Alison" I whispered out. There was a flash of something in his eyes but I couldn't tell what it was, excitement maybe? I should have lied and given him fake names but now it was too late.