chapter twenty four

***NOT EDITED***

***Caroline's Point of View***

Elizabeth is still lost in her memories and I have to find a way to keep Landon busy. Maybe if I convince him that we will leave tomorrow? Yes. I will tell him we live tomorrow night. That way we can get our provisions together. It will have to do for now. Elizabeth is now staring at William in horror and I am afraid of what she remembered. "Ellie it's ok. What did you remember?" He asked softly while holding her closely. "The middle daughter is supposedly able to manipulate someone's memories." She whispered. "Kind of like a mind reader in a way. She would be able to search someone's mind for a specific memory and change or erase it completely." She finished while burrowing into William's chest. Why on earth is she so scared right now? So I can manipulate memories that's good. I can deal with Landon easily. Take away the memory of hearing about this foretelling or prophecy and problem solved. "There's a catch." She said sadly. "If you take away Landon's memory of the prophecy which is about you he will in turn forget every memory he has that you are involved in. He will forget all about you." She sniffled.

My heart dropped to my stomach. How can one little memory cause so much destruction? "Maybe you don't remember correctly." I demanded. "That doesn't make any sense." I demanded. "She's right." William sighed. "It's kind of like the child hood game dominos. When you knock over one memory it takes down all the memories." He said somberly. "He'll forget about me?" I croaked out. Tears were pooling at my eyes. This can't happen. I love Landon so much I can't make him forget about me. I don't want to lose him. Please there has to be another way.

I fall to my knees and mumble no over and over again. "Caroline we can find another way." Elizabeth tries but I just starts laughing. "You think Landon is going to let me die? He didn't even waste any time before deciding we were running." I say bitterly. "I know a vampire who has this gift he has been researching for decades trying to find a way to change the way it works. There is no going back if you do this Caroline." Williams explains hesitantly. There is only one way to save my people. I can't put myself first. My love for Landon has to come second. I stand up while trying to shed any sadness I feel. "It's for the good of my people." I announce while wiping the grass off her knees.

"You have to concentrate on the memory. Once you see it in your mind you imagine a hand wiping it away. Once the memory is gone you replace it with what you want him to remember. Basically you can make him remember a whole new life." William says. "I can just give him a new life?" I asked surprised by how simple it is. "You can make him remember whatever you want. It's a horrible, but great gift." William says while shrugging. "Let's go find Landon and Allison.

We find a pacing Landon outside William and Elizabeth's tent. "Where were you?" He demands while pulling me into his embrace. I let myself stay in his arms and breathe in him for all it's worth. I'm going to miss him so much. I want this one last memory. I need it to get me through this. "Where is Allison?" I ask into his chest. "She's in the tent packing her bag." He says. I nod in response while pulling away slightly. "William, will you and Elizabeth take Allison to the planning tent. We will meet you there shortly." William nods. "Take her to the practice field William you will understand soon." I whisper lowly. William heard though he shot me a questioning look, but nodded. Elizabeth went and grabbed Allison. She had scout in her arms. She seemed excited for the journey. "Go get the picture we have of our family." I say while rubbing her cheek softly. She nods and heads off with them. Landon and I head into the tent and sit on one of the cots.

I look at Landon and take in his face one last time before I break my own heart. "Landon I love you so much." I whisper. He smiles softly and pulls me into another hug. "I love you too Caroline. So much. I will always protect you." He whispers. I close my eyes and let him hold me. I enter his mind and after a few seconds I see the memory of him hearing the prophecy about me. "Caroline?" he questions softly. "Please just hold me?" I beg. He holds me tighter and softly rubs my back. I see my hand cover the memory and I force myself to wipe it away swipe by swipe. Landon's arms fall from my back and he leans back slightly looking at me in a confused kind of way. My heart tears in two when he let me go. It felt as if my entire being was torn apart. I try to hold back my tears and force myself to focus. "You have a very good life. You never want to give up to the vampires. You don't want to live in the villages either. You are strong and loyal. You are courageous and funny. You are so kind." I can't hold back the tears anymore. I let them freely fall while I force away the only man I have ever loved.