chapter four

It has been two day and I have never had to pee so badly in my entire life. I decide to think of memories from home to distract myself. I think of when Daniel and Landon first started to teach me how to fight. In the beginning they would have me pinned in under thirty seconds. Soon I learned to take advantage of my small stature. I was fast so if I tried to stay one step ahead I could at the very least have enough time to run. At first my kicks and punches were sloppy but with practice I got to where I was able to have control over them. After a few weeks I was able to escape from Landon and Daniel's attacks and once I even pinned Landon.

I enjoyed my time spent learning from Daniel and Landon. My father was busy having to travel to the other rebel villages more often than not. He started to leave Daniel and Landon in charge last year. This year he would take either Daniel or Landon with him when he traveled and I would be in charge with whichever one of the boys was left behind. It thrilled me when my father told me that he thought I was ready to be left in charge with whichever one of the boys remained. I was ecstatic and remember doing a little happy dance that had Daniel and Landon laughing at me.

When I thought back on my childhood Landon was always around me when he wasn't doing things for my father. We started going exploring in the surrounding area of where ever the village was at the time when I was fifteen. I think he knew the stuff with my mom was bothering me and I needed an outlet. He let me vent and there was never a time when I was ever without his support.

I remember one day after my mother had been gone for a while when we went exploring we found a small pond. It was beautiful with flowers covering the water. The flowers floated gently along the water as if they had no problems. The random ripples in the water would gently cause them to rock but never tip over. I noticed Landon watching me out of the corner of my eye. I turned to ask him what was wrong when his lips collided with mine, I was stunned frozen but then felt myself lean into him. He was gently his hands cupping my face. I felt sparks flying and butterflies in my stomach. I had never felt this before and I didn't want it to stop. I felt him pull away and I let out a small whine without meaning too. He chuckled as heat raised to me cheeks causing me to blush.

"I'm glad I didn't scare you. I've been wanting to that for a while." he was blushing now and I found it adorable.

"I-I-I didn't th-think that y-y-you liked me." I stuttered out which only made me blush more. I had had feelings for Landon ever since I can remember but I just assumed he would never like me because I still believed what my mother told me. So I tried to ignore the feelings I had for him.

"I have loved you since I saw you in the wild flower field picking flowers to put into Alison's hair for her fifth birthday party." He said softly as he took a piece of my hair and tucked it behind my ear. That means he has loved me for over six years! All this time has gone by and we were both too afraid to say anything. I felt a pang in my heart when I thought of all the time we have lost. "I will always love you Caroline" he says softly as he kisses my forehead.

"You love me?" I whispered. "Landon I don't know what to say."

"How do you feel about me?" he asked softly.

I knew that I loved him but I was too afraid to say it. I was too afraid of giving in and being with him. He would end up realizing he didn't love me and then I would be all alone with a broken heart. "I know I feel something for you but I don't know it is love" I say quietly. I see the color drain from his face and he looks at the ground. I grab his hand and squeeze it. "Landon please look at me" I pleaded. He slowly lifted his eyes to mine. "I feel this flutter every time you look at me or talk to me. When we kissed I felt sparks all over my body and I didn't want it to end. I am just afraid. What if I admit that I love you and you decide in a few years you don't want me any more so you leave me behind and move on to someone else? What happens when you realize that I can't make you happy" I question softly.