dog pile.

Luke's POV:

"So, you two just slept in the same bed and did nothing?"

I shrug, not understanding why he's asking this a fifth time when I've answered the same thing each time.

"Yes, why is that so hard to understand?" I ask taking a sip from my coffee.

He shrugs his shoulders as he sits back in his seat, "I just feel like there's an insane amount of sexual tension between the two of you. How do you guys lay in the same bed together and not do anything?"

"We do just that," I say in disbelief that he's so surprised by this. "She's got Drew for all that now."

Calum just scoffs before rolling his eyes, "There is no way she feels even remotely anything close to what she felt with you when it comes to Drew."

Doesn't matter. At the end of the day, I messed up what we had completely and I don't know how easily I'll be able to amend that. I'm sure she has a hard time even considering me as a friend.

"I'm sure she's trying to move on," I say as my fingers tap against the coffee mug.

Calum just gives me a look as if telling me to stop being ridiculous. However, I think we both know I'm right. She hasn't really made it clear that she wants any part in what we used to be. Addison obviously wants to move on and I'm not going to be the one that holds her back.

"Dude, you're always going to be her first love," Calum says. "You never let go of your first love."

I want to scoff because I've got hit by that realization fairly recently. I figured I was moving on just fine without her but I realized that all the things I turned to were my way of coping with the pain I felt.

"She seems happy, I don't want to ruin that."

"You don't have to Luke," Calum says to me as if I'm being ridiculous. "You don't need to ruin her happiness, for christ's sake, you can be her happiness."

I just shake my head because as much as I hate to see her and Drew together, I know it's something I have to accept. If she's happy with him, I'm not going to be the guy that steps in and tries to ruin it.

"I'm not that guy that's going to break up what they have," I say.

The idea is enough to make me cringe. I couldn't imagine someone ever doing that to me so I'm not going to go out of my way to do it to someone else.

"But what do they even have, Luke?" Calum asks looking at me incredulously as he furrows his eyebrows. "They don't have anything, I doubt either one of them really cares about the other."

I shut my mouth considering I don't know the answer to that. For all I know, Addison could be absolutely head over heels for Drew but has an excellent way of masking it. I especially don't know how he feels about it all but one thing I do know for sure is that I haven't seen him around any other girl but Addison.

I have grown to like Drew and if he's the one that keeps her happy, who am I to step in and ruin it?

As much as I desire to and would give anything to go back to the way things were, I feel like I've lost that chance. I've messed up and had time to heal it but I didn't.

I let her slip away and didn't bother to fix things.

"You're the one she wants, Luke. I know it, I'm sure she knows it, and deep down, I'm pretty sure you know it," Calum says pointing a finger at me as I try to accept his words.

But I just shake my head, "I'm not who I used to be."

"You can be," Calum says throwing his arms up in exasperation. "She never really cared that you were a professor or that you had never drank alcohol before in your life. She cares about the little damn things like how you two would find enjoyment in reading books together, or getting coffee together, or hell, those stupid damn crosswords you two would do. I haven't seen you pick one up in months."