nine

Gryffindor Common Room

Gryffindor Common Room. December 8th, 1995 

-MIDNIGHT-

"We need to talk Hermione."

Hermione stood still, not knowing how to react. She knew that Harry would be suspicious of her sooner or later, as her actions these few months weren't normal Hermione actions. Hermione only nodded, knowing that he was just going to talk about her recent actions and her taking his map.

Instead, what Harry said made Hermione's blood turn cold.

"I know about Zoë." Hermione stepped back out of instinct. She couldn't even look at Harry in the eyes. He knew. She had failed at keeping Zoë a secret. Although... maybe it's not too late. 

"Who's Zoë? I've never heard of her before." Hermione tried to smile but her lips kept trembling. Harry only sighed and shook his head.

"I heard her that night in the Room Of Requirements at our first DADA lesson. She was using my invisibility cloak wasn't she." Hermione couldn't believe it. How could he have ever known that she had made him leave? Suddenly a wave of anger washed through Hermione. She was not going to let Harry know about Zoë.

"WHAT DO THINK YOU'RE SAYING? THAT'S ABSOLUTE NONSENSE AND YOU KNOW IT." Harry stayed seated, although his mouth dropped at the sudden outburst of Hermione. 

She just unknowingly proved him right about Zoë by getting angry.

Right after Hermione yelled Harry heard footsteps near the common room. A flame-haired boy came out, sleep in his eyes.

"What the bloody hell are you two doing up so late? It's 12:34 am for Merlin's sake." Ron said as he yawned. It was clear that Hermione's yelling had woken him up. Hermione took advantage of Ron being there and ran up the stairs to her dorm, avoiding Harry and Ron for the night.

"So...are you going to tell me what happened Harry?"

::::::::::

"So you mean to tell me that there's a secret girl that Hermione and Evanora know that lives at Hogwarts and has your map and invisibility cloak?" Harry nodded. Finally, someone who understood.

Instead, Ron burst out laughing.

"That...that must be the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Hilarious Harry hilarious." Ron wiped tears from his eyes as Harry sat there, anger clearly on his face.

"It's true. I'll prove it to you I will." And with that Harry left the confused ginger-haired boy in the common room.

That night Harry was unable to get a lick of sleep. His mind flooded with the image of Zoë. The girl with the hurting scar just like his. He needed to know who she was.

++++++++++++++++++++

Hogwarts Castle. December 8th, 1995 

Evanora and Hermione ran through the corridors, their faces morphed with worry and confusion. Professor McGonagall had sent them an urgent note about the whereabouts of Zoë. There were no details, jut that there was some information about Zoë, and that they needed to be at the Headmaster's Office immeditaly.

"What do you think it is?" Evanora asked, panting as they ran faster.

"I don't know. But whatever it is I do hope it's good news." They pair finally made it to the statue leading to the office. Evanora quickly said the password, not wasting time as they ran up the escalating stairs.When they entered the office, they froze. There was their strong headmaster Dumbledore,

on the floor crying.

Evanora and Hermione stayed in place. They didn't know what to do. They had never seen Professor Dumbledore cry before. Right beside him, rubbing on his back was Professor McGonagall, who only looked up for a moment to say the words that made Evanora and Hermione drop on their knees, intense emotion running through them.

"It's about Zoë."

"What about Zoë Why were we called her so urgently?" Hermione said, tears wanting to escape her eyes as she thought about the worse case scenrio. Dumbledore looked up, and Hermione and Evanora winced at the bloodshot eyes of their Headmaster, who was struggling to speak.

"Zoë...I- I saw her on th-th-the map."

Hermione and Evanora said nothing, wanting more details. Surely Dumbledore would not be crying on the floor if he had found Zoë on the map. Professor McGonagall opened her mouth, seeing as the headmaster was unable to say a word properly.

"Albus saw Zoë on the map. She just...appeared out of thin air. He called for me to help find her, but when we were trying to get to where she was on the map, she made her way to what I assume was an exit of the castle. The map can't go beyond Hogwarts Castle so by the time we went outside...we lost her."

"Well, she couldn't have gone that far. We have to find her." Evanora exclaimed. "We can look for her somewhere nearby. Try the forest or Hogsmeade." Professor McGonagall looked down at Dumbledore, who was still crying, before nodding.

"Let's go."

A/N: Hey guys. Sorry for the short chapter this time around. This story is getting ready for the end of the fifth year so this chapter was the bridge to the next chapters. Next chapter will contain a time skip, so don't get confused on that. I'm sorry in advance for any spelling errors and thank you so much for reading. Bye!