fifteen

***warning: this chapter will focus on the movie's interpretation of the scene***

Hogwarts Castle. April 21, 1997

With his invisibility cloak on, Harry made his way through the halls that were luckily empty. After leaving a confused and worried Ron and Hermione behind, he reached the entrance hall where the front door was located, being unlocked as Filch had forgotten to close it.

Harry felt a sudden idea to visit the vegetable patch before going to Hagrid's. Although it wasn't the path to his, Harry felt like it was the place to be at that moment.

Harry walked is way through the vegetable patch, luckily running into Professor Slughorn, who was poking through the patch, trying to get the tentacular leaves.

"Hi!" Slughorn hopped up, startled.

"Merlin's beard, Harry!"

"Sorry sir. You thought I was Professor Sprout I suppose."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well you are sneaking around sir. Jumping when you saw me."

Slughorn kept quiet as he continued to pick at the tentacular leaves.

"Those tentacular leaves, they're very valuable aren't they sir?" Slughorn gave a small laugh as he clipped more off.

"Right you are m'boy. Ten galleons a leaf to the right buyer...not that I'm familiar with that or anything...just a rumor I know." Slughorn paused as he realized something.

"Hey wait a minute. How exactly did you get out of the castle Harry?"

"Through the front door sir," Harry said as he bounced up and down slightly. "Off to visit a dear friend of mine. Hagrid." Harry started to walk off when Slughorn called out to him.

"Harry!" 

Harry turned around.

"Sir?"

"It's nearly nightfall. You know I can't let you roam the grounds by yourself."

"Well then, by all means come along sir."

Despite Slughorn insisting to return to the castle, Harry walked ahead. With Slughorn behind him, both went to where Hagrid was standing. In front of him was the dead Acromantula Aragog. Slughorn gasped.

"Is that really an Acromantula?" Hagrid hiccuped before answering that it was.

"How did you manage to kill it." Hagrid turned to Slughorn, confusion, and sadness laced in his voice.

"Kill it? My oldest friend he was." Slughorn pleaded his apologies as he stared at the creature.

"I'm sorry to intrude but would I be allowed to extract a vial or two of its venom? It's very rare." Slughorn paused. "Purely for academic purposes of course, you understand?"