fourteen

Hogwarts Castle

Hogwarts Castle. March 10, 1997

It felt great to finally be out of the Hospital Wing. The recently knocked out and poisoned duo walked to breakfast alongside Hermione, who had finally rekindled with Ron.

In the past week and a half, Harry managed to save his best friend from dying, to get hit in the head by McLaggen with a Bludger during the Quidditch match against Hufflepuff, and still not find out what exactly Draco does in the Room of Requirements. All the time he spent in the wing could have gone to solving the Draco case, but he was still left with questions.

"So Ginny and Dean fought again." Harry was snapped out of his thoughts, his emotions running wild at the thought of Ginny and Dean possibly having a falling out. He tried his best to ask what it was about without seeming too excited. After a few moments of going back and forth with the topic, Harry heard his name being called.

Luna skipped her way to the trio, where she gave Ron a green onion, the toadstool, and what seemed like cat litter before passing a piece of parchment to Harry. 

The next lesson from Dumbledore. Tonight. After a small conversion with Luna, the trio walked again towards the Great Hall, spotting Lavender Brown near the staircase. Leaving Ron behind, Hermione and Harry entered the Great Hall, Hermione having a slight smirk on her face when the couple came in not saying a word to each other.

Hermione was in a happy mood for the rest of the day.

::::::::::

That evening, both Harry and Hermione sat in the common room, with Hermione, still in the best of moods, helping out Harry with his Herbology essay, something she would have not done before. Harry contemplated whether he wanted to tell Hermione about Zoë going to the same room as Malfoy. It still bothered Harry that all this time Zoë had been with Draco all along. But it just couldn't be true.

"Oh no I'm gonna be late," Harry said as he looked at his watch. "I'll see you later Hermione." Harry rushed out of the common room, making his way to the way to the office, After saying the password, he went up the stairs and knocked on the door. After hearing Dumbledore's voice telling him to enter, Harry opened the door to face Professor Trelawney, who cried out.

"This is why you want me out of your office!" The professor pointed at Harry,  who just stood there, unable to process the awkward situation in front of him.

"My dear Sybill I am not trying to kick you out but Harry does have an appointment with me. We could discuss this matter tomorrow if you please." Dumbledore expressed in a slightly worn-out voice.

"No need. I know when I'm not wanted. I'll just go to where I will be suited most." Trelawney walked out, clearly angry. Harry concluded that it had to be because of Firenze, who the professor was not very fond of, teaching Divination as well.

Dumbledore quickly dismissed the topic, going straight into the lesson for the evening.

"Before I beginning, I would like to ask if you have succeeded in the task I set you to complete from our last lesson."

Harry tensed. "Um...I asked Professor Slughorn but...he didn't give to me." The sheer disappointment in the following words from Dumbledore was enough to make Harry hot from shame. He didn't want to fail in his task, but from all the things he was more concerned with: Draco, Zoë, Ron getting poisoned and he himself getting his skulled cracked, his mind hadn't placed thought on the memory he had to retrieve.

"That is all for this lesson," Dumbledore announced as he and Harry left the second memory. Having learned more about Voldemort and his past compared to his present, Harry sat down, looking towards the glowing crystal bottles. 

"Sir. Why haven't we viewed the third memory?" Harry said, indicated to the third crystal bottle present near the Pensieve. Dumbledore picked it up and placed it out of Harry's sight.

"We simply do not have much time for it. And it is also a memory that I intend to show you once you retrieve Slughorn's memory. So for now it will have to wait." More guilt washed over Harry. He had to find a way to retrieve that memory.

Harry bid his farewell to the headmaster, leaving him alone in his office. With trembling hands, Dumbledore picked up the third memory to place it in its rightful place. Just the thought of it was revolting to the wise man, but it was an important piece of memory that needed to be viewed.

The memory was the only one that had a date placed around it. Although it was a horrible memory, Dumbledore still did not want to forget it, not even the date.

𝒟𝑒𝒸𝑒𝓂𝒷𝑒𝓇 𝟤𝟦, 𝟣𝟫𝟫𝟢

++++++++++++++++++++

Hogwart's Courtyard. April 21, 1997

"Liquid Luck? Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" 

Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat outside in the courtyard, with Ron and Hermione studying for their Apparition exams that afternoon. Harry shifted, not really wanting to use his liquid luck so soon, especially since he had been planning on using it somehow to get Ginny and Dean to break up. However, he couldn't bear to have to disappoint Dumbledore again by showing up without Slughorn's memory.

"Alright. This evening, I'll take some Liquid Luck if I can't convince him this afternoon." 

"Good...it's all about stopping Voldemort once and for all. It's needed." Hermione sighed.

The bell rang soon after, making Hermione and Ron stood up, fear taking over their faces.

"You two will do fine. Good luck." Harry waved to them as he walked to his Potions class, where only he, Draco Malfoy, and Ernie Macmillan were present.

Looking up a bored-looking Draco during the lesson, Harry noticed how much Draco had changed. His skin grew even paler than before, with his whole body looking like a stick. The personality Draco once had of being smug and prideful was all gone. Draco looked and felt hollow. Harry concluded that whatever he was doing in the Room of Requirements was not going as planned for him.

Being excited by this matter, it was only even more exciting when the potion he brewed pleased Slughorn, who was placed in a good mood from it, giving Harry the advantage of getting the memory.

The bell rang, leaving Harry alone with Slughorn. This was his chance.

"Sir?" By the time Harry tried to say another word, Slughorn already hurried his way out of the room after seeing he was alone with Harry. 

Disappointed, Harry left the dungeon, knowing exactly what he had to do next.

After he reached the Gryffindor Common Room and was told by Hermione that she passed the Apparition Exam but Ron didn't, Harry sighed.

"So are you taking Liquid Luck?" Harry nodded. And so they waited in the common room until it felt like the right time to be able to take it. Finally, Harry retrieved the bottle and opened it.

"Here goes nothing." Harry took the bottle to his lips, taking a mouthful of the potion. When asked how it felt, Harry did not answer, as he slowly started to feel a sense of luck, and many chanced for luck to be by him.

"Excellent." Harry finally answered. He stood up and smiled. 

"I'm going to Hagrid's."