Y E A R S E V E N

The Burrow

The Burrow. July 31, 1997

Any form of an attempt to be normal that special day crashed down when the Prime Minister, Rufus Scrimgeour, requested a private conversation with Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ronald Weasley. 

Harry's seventeenth birthday landed a month after the death of the headmaster Albus Dumbledore. Despite this, and other events that happened beforehand, like the death of Alaster Moody, Harry's special day was to be made as normal and enjoyable as possible. 

This all came down when the trio sat down with the Minister of Magic in the sitting room of the Burrow. 

"I am here, as I'm sure you know, to discuss Albus Dumbledore's Will." The trio looked at each other confused. "A surprise? Surely you knew that Dumbledore left you all something." The minister sighed at the confused expressions of the three.

"Dumbledore died a month ago." Harry suddenly realized. "Why has it taken this long to give what he left?"

"Isn't it obvious. They examined them. You had no right to do that!" Hermione said, making her voice loud. 

The Minister of Magic took every chance to attack and get as much information from the group as possible, before finally unveiling the will.

Ron received Dumbledore's Deluminator.

Hermione received a copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

And Harry received the Golden Snitch he caught in his first Quidditch match.

Scrimgeour read one last thing out loud.

"To Harry, Hermione, and Ronald, I leave my journal. When the time comes I hope you know what to do with it" The Minister paused, his eyes narrowing at the group before reading the last few words. "And...who...to give it to."

The Minister pulled out a small journal, handing it over to Harry. Harry opened the journal, skimming through the pages.

"They're blank," Ron said.

The Minister placed his hands on his knees, looking intensely at the trio. "I suppose you know who this needs to go to." Harry, Hermione, and Ron all shock their heads. Scrimgeour let out a sigh of frustration.

Everything turned south when the last item, The Sword of Godric Gryffindor, was revealed to be the second item Harry was to receive but denied access to.

The yelling of the trio, as well as Scrimgeour, filled the room, with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley eventually coming in alarmed. 

In one last glance, Scrimgeour limped his way out the house, finally leaving the trio alone.

All the items sparked interest in them. However, the empty journal stood out the most.

Harry took it in his hands, examing the front. The dark leather-like material was decorated with lines of gold, with a small golden phoenix symbol marked in the middle of the front of the journal. Harry went over it with his thumb.

"Who do you suppose Dumbledore was talking about?" Ron said, looking at the journal.

"I don't know. The only form of...anything in this journal is this phoenix symbol." Hermione mumbled over Harry's words, keeping her eyes close on the symbol.

"The phoenix...Dumbledore's symbol...wait!" Hermione got up, surprising both Harry and Ron. "What if the phoenix doesn't only represent Dumbledore...but the Dumbledore family!" Harry's eyes widened in realization as he looked down on the symbol. 

"You don't think..." Harry began. Hermione sighed.

"Even if it was, we don't know how to get it to her."