nine

Room of Requirements

Room of Requirements. May 1, 1998

After viewing the diadem and running into the Carrows, Professor McGonagall saved both Luna and Harry but it was too late. Lord Voldemort had been notified that Harry was at Hogwarts, and he would be coming any minute to finish what he started that October night many years ago.

Luna and Harry made their way to the Room of Requirements, entering to see more people there than before. He spotted Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill and Fleur, Kingsley, Lupin, Angelina Johnson, Oliver Wood, Katie Bell, and Alicia Spinnet. 

"Harry, what's going on?" Lupin asked when he saw Harry enter.

"Voldemort is on his way. The school and being barricaded and Snape made a run for it. What are all of you doing here and how?"

"The D.A. let the Order of the Phoenix know. Couldn't let them miss the fun." Fred explained.

"So what first? What's the plan?"

"All the younger kids are being evacuated and everyone is meeting in the Great Hall. We're fighting." A roar comes from all the people in the room as they drew out their wands and proceed out of the room. Harry joined the remaining people.

"You're underage! I won't permit it!" Mrs. Weasley shouted at Ginny. "You've got to go home!" 

"I won't! I'm in Dumbledore's Army. I-"

"A teenagers' gang!" Mrs. Weasley shouted back.

Before anyone could answer, the room became silent as they heard the entrance to the tunnel from the Hog's Head swing open, revealing a girl with short hair and cuts all over her face. She had placed different clothes on, and swung to the side was a small pouch that took the shape of the rectangular object inside. She struggled to get out, but managed to, looking around the room.

"Did I miss the battle?"

"Not at all Zoë. You're right on time." Fred said, obviously oblivious to the reason for the sudden outburst of Harry beside him.

"Zoë?! No get back to the pub you can't be here." Harry ran up to Zoë, who smiled. 

"I have to be here." Zoë took Harrys' hand and squeezed it. Harry shook his head.

"You're a muggle. You won't be able to protect yourself." Harry whispered to Zoë, who shook her head this time.

"I'm not worried about that. I have to be here in order to defeat Tom Riddle." Zoë let go of Harry's hand and turned around to face the tunnel. "Besides, I'll have him to protect me."

On cue, another person emerged from the tunnel. His white hair glowed under the lights of the room as he faced Harry.

"I thought you were on their side," Harry said.

"No." Draco walked up to Zoë and took her hand. "Not anymore."

::::::::::

After much discussion, Ginny was left at the Room of Requirements while Harry and the rest ran out of the room to go to the Great Hall. Harry, however, noticed that Ron and Hermione were nowhere in sight. 

"Potter wait?" Draco called out, letting go of Zoë's hand and making his way to Harry's side. "Be careful with your mission. I was sent to follow you around today to catch you off guard with Crabbe and Goyle. I told Blaise to cover me and made up an excuse. They'll be trying to get you." Harry only nodded as a way to say thanks, as it was the second time Draco has helped him.

"Thank you." Harry was finally able to say. Upon looking at Draco's worried face, Harry gave a quick smile. "I promise to not get them hurt." Draco looked at Harry, a bit of relief washing over his face, running alongside him to the Great Hall. 

It seemed like chaos when, after merely a few minutes, the Battle had officially begun, with people evacuating the castle under the orders of Professor McGonagall. While Harry began to run to find out exactly where the lost diadem was, Zoë ran alongside Draco, who blasted spells at the death eaters, who stared wide-eyed at the Malfoy being on the side of Harry before they were stunned.

Draco could only grip Zoë's hand tighter. He didn't want to lose her. She was a muggle whom he had fallen in love with, but that came with the consequences of having her in severe danger in the battle, which Draco thought she shouldn't be in.

"Come this way." Draco pulled on Zoë's arm, directing her to a different hall. In that hall, they saw Fred, Percy, and George battling another man. Draco turned around, spotting Harry, Ron, and Hermione running that direction as well. He made his way to them.

"Did you find it?" Harry nodded, looking down in shame. Draco nodded, knowing exactly what it meant. "Who died?"

"Crabbe," Harry said. Draco looked down. 

"I didn't expect all of them to survive."

Zoë, who was looking at them, turning around at the voice of Percy Weasley, who was dueling the man.

"Hello, Minister! Did I mention I'm resigning?"

Zoë didn't even listen to what Fred said, as she spotted one of the Death Eaters pointing his wand to the wall. Instantly Zoë knew what he was going to do. Without thinking her feet moved forward. She ran up to the Weasley brothers, her hand out. "WATCH OUT!" She ran to the group and leaped to push them out of the way. The air came at a loud bang as the wall crumbled down, and all Zoë felt was her landing on someone before feeling crushed under the rubble.