four

Hogwarts Castle

Hogwarts Castle. October 1st, 1996

It was late at night and Zoë Dumbeldore sat her bed, unable to get any rest. She picked up a book and started to read with the little light we got from the moon and stars from her window. The book she picked up always helped her fall asleep, as it was the book her father would always read to her in the cottage when she couldn't fall asleep. It was short but always helped. In no time Zoë felt herself get tired. She closed the book and fell onto her bed, falling asleep instantly.

Zoë was lying on the cold surface, unable to move. She looked around the best she could and saw in horror the face of the man she saw that fatal night in the Department of Mysteries.

Tom Riddle, with the coldest smile on his face, pointed his wand to Zoë's father.

"You're lucky I'm being kind tonight. Now tell me Aberforth, and I won't ask you again, where is the boy?" Zoë's father stood silent. Tom Riddle's smile dropped.

"AVADA KEDAVRA" At that moment Zoë stood up and ran to protect her father. She saw the green light and...

Zoë bolted up, panting and in a cold sweat. She looked at the grandfather clock in her room, barely visible because of the darkness.

12:23 am.

Zoë sighed and went to get her book again when she heard voices from outside the room. As quietly as possible she went up to the door, pressing to hear who was talking.

"Are you sure you understood it correctly? There could have been a mistake in your interpretation." Zoë immediately recognized the voice of Severus.

"I'm sure. Both have to die in order to fulfill the..." Zoë was shocked to hear a loud thump, like someone hitting their fist on a table.

"BUT HIS DOESN'T SAY HE NEEDS TO DIE TWICE." Zoë took a step back. Never has she heard Severus yell like that. Zoë tried to sneak back in bed, only for the floor to creak. The talking stopped.

Zoë mentally cursed herself and before Severus could open her door, she opened it, acting like she just woke up.

Zoë yawned and rubbed her eyes. "I'm sorry to disturb you two. I just woke up because I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be careful. Excuse me." She passed by them both and left the office.

Zoë headed to the direction of the Room of Requirements, just wanting some peace and quiet. She thought of a place to get lost in, as thinking about the cottage pained her after that nightmare.

Arriving at the door, she opened it, only to be presented with stacks upon stacks of paper and book. Zoë had never seen the Room of Requirements like this before, and surprisingly it was quite nice.

As she walked deeper, Zoë heard materials moving. Looking forward, she was presented with the sight of a white-haired boy in green and black robes. He seemed to be holding up something to the light as if inspecting it carefully.

Being so caught up by the boy, Zoë's foot hit one of the stacks, making papers fly everywhere. The boy turned around, pulling out his wand. Before he could catch sight of Zoë, she hit behind the closet thing she could find.

"Who's there?" The boy's footsteps got louder as he approached where Zoë was. But of course, she couldn't stay hidden for long. With just a simple spell the boy said, the object she was hiding behind moved away, revealing the muggle to the Hogwarts student.

Zoë stood up, arms in the air, and faced the white-haired boy. She recognized him from the time she passed him in the halls last year. Draco Malfoy was his name. The one Hermione seemed to hate.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt whatever you were doing. I'll be on my way." Zoë tried to walk away, only for Draco to point the wand closer to her.

Zoë became terrified.

She hadn't had the best experience with being on the receiving end of a wand.

"I asked you who you were. Answer me or I'll jinx you." Zoë started to tremble. She had no wand or even any magical abilities to protect her.

Stuttering, she answered. "I..I sai..said I was sorry. Ple...please let me...g...go." Draco saw just how pale and scared she got, and for once felt pity. He lowered his wand and walked back to where he was before. Letting out a shaky breath, Zoë sat on the floor, trying her best to relax.

"I only let you go so that you can leave, so I suggest you do." Draco said emotionlessly to the mystery girl as she stood up and quickly ran to the door, leaving Draco to what he was doing before.

::::::::::

It was early in the morning. The Hogwarts students were walking to the Great Hall in order to eat breakfast before a long day of classes.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron walked as Harry kept talking about Draco.

"Harry I think we get it." Hermione said, a little annoyed that this topic was said so early in the morning. "But I really don't think he's a death eater."

"Neither do I." Ron said, agreeing with Hermione. Harry just rolled his eyes but kept his mouth shut.

As they were getting to their table, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle past them, long enough for some of their conversation to be heard.

"I'm telling you Crabbe and Goyle. I saw the strangest girl. I've never seen her before and she's definitely too old to be an unknown first or second year..." Hermione stopped and turned around to Harry, shock on her face.

"You don't think he's talking about..." Harry knew exactly who she was talking about but only shook his head.

"You know she can't leave the office." Harry whispered back, but Hermione wasn't quite convinced.

Meanwhile, Zoë had just woken up. After arriving back to the office, Severus was gone and only her Uncle Albus sat there, seeming to be thinking far away. Zoë bid her goodnights, and did her best to fall asleep quickly, but all she could do was think about what happened in the Room of Requirements. She had never experienced an interaction with a Hogwarts student like that before. She had always tried to be careful. But she was thinking about Draco more..

...Why exactly was he there so late at night?

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. This was so hard to get out because I had already typed this, but it got deleted. I feel like this isn't the best chapter, but at least we got something new. What did you guys think of Draco and Zoë's interaction? Would you like to see more? Sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes and stay safe. Bye!