Don't Mess with Witches

Max and Mel sat across from each other in the hospital cafeteria. "So, you're a goddess?" Mel looked down at her coffee cup, "Yeah. I didn't mean to, Max. I'll control it. I'll figure it out." He took her hand, "I know." "I didn't know if you or your mom would understand but when she brought up witches, I knew she would get the whole goddess thing." Max laughed. He couldn't believe it, a beautiful girl he liked was in the same boat as him. Max responded, "Well um...I don't know if you've heard but I am supposed to become a god soon." Mel shook her head in disbelief, playing along like she didn't know. "Wow, they broke tradition or something with you Karras." He giggled, "Some destiny, Harry Potter crap or something."

--

Cordelia gathered some filled potion vials in the kitchen, gave some of them to Max. "You trust her?" The supreme looked at him a bit confused. "What?" "Mel. You know...feel like you could sense it or something?" Cordelia felt Mel's feelings were genuine and that she cared about her son, "I think she really does care for you, sweetheart." Max scratched his arm, smiled, "I think she does too." "Let's get these to the girls, the full moon's tonight." Max agreed as he followed his mother out of the kitchen, "Yeah, sun's about to go down." The two entered the living room filled with all of the students. Max and Cordelia saw Gwen in the middle of the commotion, witches scrambling past her. Gwen wasn't sure what to do.

Cordelia and Max approached the little witch, "Sweetheart, Max will look after you until this is over." "Okay." Delia gave them both some vials, "This will knock them on their asses. They're just for emergency. They shouldn't get past the front door." Max nodded and took Gwen's hand. "Stay safe." He took a look around the room, "All of you!" "We will." Max looked down at Gwen, "Come on. Let's go."

--

Max led Gwen into his bedroom and shut the door. Gwen took a seat on the bed, "When does the sun go down?" Her brother looked at his watch, "In about ten minutes. At 6:59." Gwen nodded, "Why are we in your room?" Max walked over to his dresser. "Because it's furthest back in the house." Max got on his knees, slid open the drawer. "What if they come back here?" He got out the gun, tucked it in the back of his pants, pulled his shirt down and stood back up. He took a seat next to Gwen. "We have potions and well, you know how to use your telekinesis. But don't worry so much. I'm not gonna let anyone lay a hand on you." The little girl hugged him, "Thanks Max." "Sure thing kiddo." He was touched, she felt safe with him. Gun shots came from downstairs, Gwen held him tighter.

--

The witches were gathered in front of the front door watching bullets hit a transparent force field then fall to the ground. The supreme stood front and center, extended her hand out in front of her, "Girls!" All of them extended their hands. "One, two, three." All six gun men flew back landing on top of the metal gate, impaling them. "Woah, that was intense", Misty said with wide eyes. Footsteps came from upstairs; Delia turned her head in direction of the sound. "Zoe, is that protection spell still up?"

--

Max's ear was up against the door, he could hear the footsteps. Max pointed at the bed, mouthed, "Under the bed" to Gwen. Gwen quietly got on the ground and scooted under the bed. Max walked over to the other side of the bed as quietly as possible. He squatted down and looked at the door. Footsteps got louder, Max slowly removed the gun from his pants and clicked the hammer. The door slowly opened revealing a hooded figure holding a sniper gun. Max ducked his head down. A creak came from underneath the bed, Max saw the man's eyes look down, Max pointed his gun at him. The hunter saw Max and pointed his sniper at him. Max pulled the trigger twice; the man fell to the ground. Delia entered with wide eyes. Max looked under thebed saw Gwen with her knees to her chin. "Gwen, are you okay? Are you hurt?" "No. I'm not hurt." Max waved at her to come out, "Come on, baby girl." She crawled out and hugged Max. "You're safe", Delia said. She went over to her two children and rubbed Gwen's back. "Everyone else okay?" Delia nodded, "Yeah. We got to get the hunters off the gate but that should be easy."