Fever Dream

Mel held Max's hand; Cordelia watched her son closely beside the hospital bed. "Feels like someone is drilling inside my head." Mel rubbed his arm then looked at Cordelia, "Whose snake do you think did this?" Delia looked at Max with concern then looked at Mel, "Judging by the mysterious snake bite, it looks like voodoo." Max tried to keep his eyes open; after a few seconds they closed. The two women noticed he had fallen asleep and went off to the side of the room to talk. "Do you have any enemies? This definitely isn't my father's work." Cordelia took a deep breath, thinking. "Possibly one. A practicer of voodoo. She wanted to come to the academy, but I saw a vision of her betrayal. I couldn't." Mel nodded, "You did what was best for the coven and your family." "I think she's trying to hurt me, by hurting Max." Mel looked over at Max, who was still asleep, "Can magic cure him?" Delia shrugged, "I've been looking in books and thinking...I can't cure him completely. Something can help him I think."

Max suddenly sat up; his eyes wide. Mel and Cordelia made their way over to him. "Hey, it's okay." Cordelia guided him to lay back down. "You're safe. I'm going to make a potion that'll help you. I'll be right back." Cordelia left the room. "What did you see?" Max shook his head, "I don't really remember. Snakes mostly." Max sat up, "Can you help me up? I'm going crazy in this bed." "That's the fever." Max offered his hand to her. "Are you sure you should be walking around?" "No, but you'll be there to catch me, right?" Mel nodded, then took his hand. "Come on, cowboy."

--

Max slowly made his way into the hallway, Mel followed behind. He wheeled his I.V. bag along. A little girl appeared in the doorway across from Max's room. Max stopped, smiled at the girl, "Hello." "Hello. Are you sick? Like me?" Max nodded. A woman walked up to the little girl and placed a hand on her shoulder. She looked like the girl's mother. "I'm sorry." "It's alright. I have a sister her age." Mel smiled at the mom and the little girl. "I'm Natalie." "I'm Max." Mel nodded, "Mel." "What's your sister's name?" "Gwen." Natalie smiled, "That's a pretty name." Everyone nodded. Natalie's mother mopped her daughter's brow, "Come on, the nurse will be back soon." Natalie groaned, "Okay. See you around." The little girl went back into her room as Max and Mel waved.

--

Max was fast asleep in the dark room. Max was moving in his sleep and sweating. He woke up with a gasp. He rubbed his shoulder then rubbed his eyes. "Are you alright?" Max's vision was blurry. He could barely see Natalie standing at his doorway. "Are you...are you really there?" Natalie quietly giggled, "Yes." "What are you doing awake?" Natalie got closer to Max, he noticed she held a little brown bear. "I was thirsty and then I saw you were hurting." She extended the bear to Max, "This helps me when I can't sleep." "Are you sure?" Natalie nodded, "Please. I'll sleep better knowing you have it." Max took the bear. "Thank you, Natalie." "You're welcome." She reached up and gently closed his eyelids, "Get some sleep. You look awful." Max laid back down as Natalie left the room. All his muscles ached but he was also very weak. He soon fell into a deep sleep.

--

Max's eyes opened. The sunlight was entering through the blinds. Delia set down an empty potion vial, "Hey, Maxy." His muscles didn't ache anymore. He noticed he had some strength in his body now. "You feel better?" Mel kissed his cheek. "Yeah. A bit tired but...a lot better." "Must've slept it off." "That and the potion made by mother supreme." Max rubbed his head, "Thanks. Have you seen Natalie today?" Max picked up the teddy on his bed. Mel shook her head, "No." "I have to give her back her bear."

--

Max approached the open doorway, he looked in, but no one was in there, just a neatly made bed. No items where in there either. Max's heart rate increased. He sped walk down the hall, stopping a nurse in the hallway, "Excuse me, the little girl across from me?" Max pointed at the room, "Did she move to a different room? I have something of hers." The nurse looked at Max with sadness in her eyes. She didn't have to say anything, his heart sank. "I'm sorry...she passed this morning." The nurse left. Max just stared at the bear with tears in his eyes.