Betrayal

"To gain focus you need to learn to meditate if you want to control your powers", Theos said to Max. The two were in the backyard. Theos pointed at a grass patch, "Sit and give it a try." Max's mind was elsewhere, "Since I'm a god now can I see my dad?" Theos shook his head, "Sorry but not right at this moment, he's getting information about an impending attack and his cover can't be blown." Max sighed then nodded, "Okay." Max took a seat on the grass. "Close your eyes." Max obliged.

Theos stood behind his student, "I want you to clear your mind. All there is, all you see is the pitch black." Theos got a bit closer, "Take a deep breath." Max breathed in deeply. "Good, hold it for a few seconds." Max held his breath. "Now, let it out." Max let out a long exhale. Theos made his way around, looked at Max's calm face. "Now, touch the grass, run your hand along the blades." Max ran his fingers across the thick blades of grass. "Keep your mind on the grass, the dirt it grows out of, the earth." Max took another deep breath. "Gently bring the dirt to your palm." Theos took Max's hand and extended the young man's arm; his palm now hovering over the ground. "Try to make the dirt as fine as possible. No clumps." Max took a deep breath, "Carefully. Take it slow." Slowly, small grains of dirt rose off the ground and grouped together mid-air. "You can hear it can't you?", Theos whispered. Max clenched his hand then suddenly opened his hand, sending the dirt flying forward, hitting a brick wall then sprinkling to the ground.

Max opened his eyes, looked up at Theos, "Thought I'd just try something, see what I could do." Theos smiled, "That's splendid! You did well. You'll learn more in time. Meditation, as you can see, helps a lot. Especially in the beginning." Max rose from the ground. Theos looked up at the sky. "Oh, they're calling. I must be going. I will see you very soon." Max waved at him. Theos disappeared in a blink. Max looked at the brick wall where the dirt hit. He cocked his head to the side. Dirt taking flight was only the beginning.

--

Mel and Max were kissing at a corner table in the school library. They stopped kissing for a moment, "Happy late birthday." "Thank you." They resumed kissing. Then suddenly, Max had a thought, "What do you know about uh..." He didn't finish. "What?", she chuckled. "What does the underworld want? I mean, is it power?" Mel sighed, "My father wants to take over everything. But he's been trying for years. He tries to act like he's all serious about it now, but who knows?" Max nodded, processing all of this. "Come on, don't let him ruin our study session." Max chuckled. Their books weren't even open. Suddenly all other students froze in time. The whole library was dead quiet. Mel looked and noticed that no one could move but them "Oh no." Max and Mel disappeared in a BLINK.

The two young adults appeared in the underworld, facing a river of suffering souls passing by. "What the..." A commanding voice came from behind the two, "There you are." Hades approached the two then he looked at his daughter, "Thank you my daughter." Max was angry, "What the hell do you want?" he wasn't scared, Mel was with him and she wasn't fond of the god of the underworld either. Hades chuckled, "Oh, Karras. I want you. My daughter was supposed to bring you to me, well your soul actually. But...Melinoe works too slow. I couldn't wait much longer, so here you are." "My soul?" Hades nodded, "It's best if you don't struggle." Hades put his hand out, Max shot out fire at Hades who jumped back a little. Max looked at Mel, "Tell me he's lying." Mel touched his arm, "Let me explain." Hades regained his composure then chuckled, "You think Melinoe actually cares about you?" He shook his head, "No. She was only doing what she was told." Hades got in Max's face, "You're work, Karras."

Max shot fire from his entire upper body, sending Hades flying backward. Mel grabbed Max's arm, transporting them back to the to the library. The other students unfroze and went back to their tasks. Max looked at Mel, he was angry. He started to walk away from her, she followed. "Max, let me explain." He turned around, "You know, I was stupid to think an underworld goddess was different and actually cared about me." He continued walking, "Max, I do care about you. Just stop! Listen to me!"