The Best

Max sat on the steps of the academy in uniform. He looked at the gates and the beautiful front yard, deep in thought. He stared at the gates, the wind picked up blowing leaves around. Mallory opened the gate and walked up the walkway. Max didn't even see her; he just kept staring and the wind kept blowing. She touched his shoulder, "Hey." Max looked up at her and snapped out of it, "Oh, sorry." He waved his hand, immediately ceasing the wind. She took a seat next to Max. "You feeling okay?" "My cracked skull is healed so, yeah fine." Mallory politely smiled, "Was kind of referring to your mental health." "It's just been a rollercoaster you know? I'll be fine then I'll be paranoid. I've seen you girls feel that way too from time to time." Mallory put an arm around him, "I think it's because you have such a big heart." "Thanks. I think it's a curse sometimes." "What're you worried about?" "You girls...my little girl. Living in fear and getting killed." Mallory nodded in understanding, "No one's going to hurt our family. You're gifted and so is the coven." Max nodded. "I've never seen power like this before. His creatures will never back off." "And no one's ever seen a god like you before. No one's defeated a hydra since Hercules. Even Hercules needed another god to come and help." Max giggled and put an arm around her. "Never seen a witch like you either. I'm not just saying that." The two hug. 

The savior god entered Gwen's bedroom where Mel and the little girl talking and giggling. "You two are having fun." Mel went over to Max and kissed him. "Max! I want to show you something! Gwen took his hand and led him to her window sill which had a potted flower. The pot only held a single rose bulb. "Look." Gwen shut her eyes and put her hand up to the flower. The flower slowly bloomed into a pretty pink rose. "Wow. Good job, Gwen!" Mel put an arm around Max as he took a seat on the bed, "I hope our daughter's half as cool as her." Gwen plopped down on Max's lap. Mel continued, "I hope she brings life. Not death." "Don't be ashamed of who you are Mel. We know you are more than a ghost goddess." His radio started to go off. "I gotta go." Gwen got off his lap. Max gave Mel a quick kiss then left.

Marshall and Max took a seat in the recreation room. Max still had some dirt on his face. They had just put out a massive fire. No one got hurt and everyone made it out safe. "Did good today." "Didn't crack my skull, so that's always good." Marshall giggled. "Why did you want to be a firefighter?" "Well, I like helping people. I also needed a job. I'm going to be a father soon." Marshall playfully tapped Max's arm, "Hey, congratulations." "Thanks." "It's the best. Being a father." Max smiled. "I have two kids. Best thing I ever did." "My dad was away a lot." Marshall puts a hand on Max's shoulder. "Don't think just because he wasn't around you'll be a bad dad. You just got to love them and be there for them. If you do that you won't fail." Max nodded, "Thanks man." "Anytime, M."