Once Bitten

Hades walked over to a long mirror and stared at it intensely. He put a hand up to the mirror, it started glowing purple. Persephone approached him, "Darling, what are you doing now?" Hades kept his eyes on the mirror, "Those damned ghosts, I got them to let go of my lovely friends. Now..." Hades waved his hand across the glass, the purple disappeared revealing an image of Max sleeping. "I just have to choose the right time to make my move. When he's vulnerable." Persephone nodded slowly, "This isn't going to make you more neurotic is it?" Hades turned his head, smirked at his wife, "I'm never neurotic am I dear?" Persephone laughed, "Just don't stop being interesting."

--

Max was sound asleep in his apartment bed. Mel, asleep next to him. A copperhead looking snake suddenly appeared, slithering on the floor. It had a light orange glow. The snake slithered up the bed and bit Max on his forearm then immediately disappeared. Max flinched a little but didn't awaken. Mel moved a little, then slowly opened her eyes. Mel snuggled up to Max and kissed his cheek. His eyes slowly opened, then he turned to face Mel. "Morning." "You sleep good?" "Like a rock." Mel rested her head on his chest. "Me too." Max's eyes widened then he gasped. "What?" "I forgot! Gwen, I'm supposed to take her to school today." Max got out of bed. Mel looked at the clock on the bedside table, "It's quarter to eight." "Okay, I have just enough time. You want to meet me at Robichaux's?" Mel nodded, "Sure."

--

The young god entered the kitchen, car keys in hand. Mel and Cordelia were chatting at the table. "Gwen got there okay?", the supreme asked. Max nodded, "Yeah." Max set his keys on the counter; his forehead was now covered in sweat. "She was a bit nervous but that's..." Max was breathing a bit heavy. "Are you alright?" Max put his hands on the counter to keep himself on his feet. "Yeah, I think I just..." Max fell to the floor, unconscious. Mel and Delia rushed over to him. "Max? Honey?" Mel propped him up against the counter and saw two small bite marks. "Cordelia, look at his arm." Delia observed his arm, "When did a snake bite him?" "Might've not been a normal snake. Let's get him some help."

--

A doctor shined a light in both of Max's eyes. The doctor put the flashlight in his shirt pocket. Max rested in the hospital bed; his eyes droopy. The doctor checked Max's heart with his stethoscope. Delia asked, "What is it that's wrong?" "Well, there was no venom in the bite. And you didn't get a good look at the snake?" Mel shook her head, "No." A nurse came in and began putting an I.V. in Max's arm. The doctor approached the two powerful women, "Louisiana has cottonmouths, rattlers, copperheads but Max here has no venom, no other bites. He's showing symptoms of what looks like Oroya fever." "Oroya fever?" The doctor nodded, "The bite is recent and Oroya fever symptoms don't show up until sixty days. That's what is baffling."

Cordelia was a bit confused. The doctor put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her, "I'll run some more tests and we'll keep a good eye on him." "Thank you, doctor." The doctor left the room. Mel and Cordelia each took a seat next to the hospital bed. The nurse put a breathing mask on Max's face. Cordelia whispered, "Someone's after him." Mel nodded, "Must've been a snake not from here," she whispered. Max fidgeted a bit. Mel held his hand while Cordelia held the other.

--

Hades watched Max fidget in the hospital bed on his enchanted mirror. Persephone filed her nails nearby. "Perhaps, I won't even need to kill Karras. Already in bed shape aren't you boy?" Persephone rolled her eyes, "What are you babbling about?" Hades pointed at the mirror, "Karras. He seems to be knocking on death's door." Persephone looked at the mirror. "Maybe his soul will be a great addition to my collection." Hades chuckled, "I can watch him suffer. What fun that'll be. It's already fun!"