Chapter 1

(edited)

Amanda's P.O.V

My body temperature dropped 20 degrees once my feet hit the sidewalk outside of the house. Of course, we had to move to Chicago in December. Shivering constantly, I made my way to school.

My stomach was still sore, and I'm pretty sure my eye was swelling shut. If anyone asks, I ran into a door. Normally people didn't question my excuses since I never let anyone get close enough to care.

In the last 7 years I've moved schools 5 times, because teachers were noticing the pattern of my bruises and scars. Most of the time, my face is always disfigured; people will just assume that I get into fights, which gives me a "badass" vibe. I don't bother to correct them, because people leave me alone if they think that. They're probably thinking "If she looks that bad, I wouldn't want to see what the other person looks like"

Head down, ears open. Don't bother anyone, and no one will bother you. Whatever you do, stay quiet. You've done it for 6 years, you can go a year and a half longer. I gave myself the same pep talk every new school. It reminds me where I stood.

The first day at a new school is always the worst; people are always asking unnecessary questions. "What's your name?" "Where are you from?" "Why did you move here?" Why don't I just write a book about myself so they will stop with the questions?

I was so deep in thought about my nonexistent book, I didn't notice I had already entered the school. My eyes gazed around the hallway to find a sign saying "Main Office" and an arrow pointing to a door below it.

The room was quaint and filled with delinquents. The lady behind the desk looked at me curiously with her bright green, piercing eyes.

"Hello sweetheart," She unconsciously checks out my tattered wardrobe. I've been wearing this same outfit for 4 years. It's been ripped, stained and drenched. I wasn't surprised when her face wore a look of disgust before quickly masking it with her plastic smile. "What are you in here for?"

I just stood there and stared. Slowly, a few eyes landed on me expectantly. Fortunately, I was saved by a lady who came rushing out of her office making her brown, wavy hair, that was in a tight up do, move back and forth.

"Oh sorry Janet. I forgot to warn you about our new student," I watched as she leaned over to whisper into Janet's ear, making her slowly nod her head up and down. I'm assuming my step dad called and informed her about my mutism. Once she turned back to me, her hand was extended with a stack of about 9 note cards. "These are for you honey. You give them to all of your teachers before class starts," I nodded my head, showing I understood, and lightly grabbed the papers before quickly turning away. Unfortunately, it didn't seem I was getting off that easy. "Oh darling, don't you think you should get your eye check out?" I shook my head and quickly made my way to my first period class.

~~~

Of course I get lost, and of course I'm late. I hate High School. I think to myself while looking for B102. My blue eyes glance at the nearest door number. D207. Ugh.

"Hey, do you need help? You seem lost," A husky voice asks me. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see a handsome boy with dreamy blue eyes any girl could get lost in, and light blonde straight hair. I shake my head and keep walking forward, hoping I'm heading the right way.

After a minute or two, it had seemed that I was alone once more, but I was unfortunately mistaken. I felt a warm breath against my neck, while the boy was looking over my shoulder.

"I think you need my help because you're at the exact opposite place that you need it to be," He chuckled. That laugh. So deep and masculine, but sexy and sweet like candy. No! Bad Amanda. Stop that. Bad! BAD!