2. The Malhotras

Hello Fam :)

Hope it's not too early to read a chapter on a Saturday. :P

Happy Reading...

Just like any other successful business, Malhotra Industries was born in the form of an idea inside the head of a dejected civil engineer who failed, multiple times, to grab a government job back in the eighties. Raj Malhotra, like everyone, has dreamt of a successful career, a loving family and a happy, satisfying life but destiny never works in our favor. After writing numerous exams and unable to bear the pressure from his family to get a job, he used to escape to one of his friends, Kabir Sheikh.

Kabir lived in a single bedroom apartment in an old Chawl in Mumbai. He continued to live in it after college when his parents moved to their village. They were happy in their own bubble until one day when Raj showed up on his doorstep with a small bag in his hands. He didn't ask any questions. Instead, welcomed him with a smile and a door wide open. He knew everything was wrong when Raj knocked on his door instead of barging in. That night the two friends cooked a meal and watched cricket in one of their neighbor's television along with the whole locality.

The next day, Raj explained about his fight with his parents due to his inability to get a job. Kabir hugged him, ruffled his hair and assured him that everything will fall into place. Kabir was the brother he never had. When Nyonika Mishra, their friend and one of their classmates, got to know about Raj, she came to meet him.

Nyonika was an orphan after both her parents died due to an unknown disease. Instead of crumbling down, she became a rebel and denied to follow the rules set by society for a girl. She was the only female student in their class and never let any male student stop her. She even went on to become a topper, joined a construction company along with Kabir and was doing well for herself.

Nyonika and Kabir were two of the most trusted people for Raj. It wasn't a surprise for him when he chose to share his idea about setting up a company first with them. He knew they would support him no matter what. They together with their savings, had rented a small place and Kabir, whose uncle had many contacts, helped them land a project. It was a start and they had worked for days to make it their best. In joined Roshan, one of their classmates who too was struggling for work like Raj and they took him under their wing.

Six months later they were ready to submit their first project. It was for a reputed company. They had dreamt about working for numerous other projects if their present one was accepted. Roshan was out of town and Nyonika asked the boys to go ahead with the submission and she would pray for them in the temple before reaching their contractor. Reluctantly, they agreed to her. Their world turned upside down, literally, when their taxi was struck by a water tanker. Their driver was spot on dead and Raj had a few injuries. His brain froze when he looked at Kabir who was worse for wear. He rushed his friend to the nearby hospital. An hour later, Kabir was declared dead and a part of Raj died forever with him. His brother in everything but blood has left him. After completing the formalities and informing his parents, he went to their office, the place where he expected Nyonika to be.

Roshan was in their office and Nyonika was furious, screaming about betrayal but nothing registered in Raj's mind except the flashes of his best friend. Nyonika, who noticed this a little later, asked him. She was left heartbroken. Roshan slipped out of the office silently taking advantage of their grief. In this way, they have lost their best friend and their first contract to Roshan, who submitted their designs as his own.

Four became two when Raj and Nyonika restarted their business afresh keeping the memory of Kabir alive in their hearts. Now, years later, Malhotra Industries was a renowned company single-handedly managed by Nyonika Malhotra after the demise of her husband. She was the most feared as well as respected woman in the industry.