42. The One and Only

Hello Fam :)

No double update today. I am feeling a bit unwell. Sorry. Will try to update tomorrow. :)

Meanwhile, you can give your hearts to the one and only. I have given mine. :P

Happy Reading...

Nandini and Manik were waiting outside the Principal's office. After Manik's little idea, Nandini told him to think about at home and to be prepared to work on it. She did the same. Once they both agreed it was a good idea, Nandini texted the Principal for a meeting with him.

"Are you nervous?", she asked.

Manik grinned and shook his head. "The worst he could do is reject the idea and we can go back to ignoring people."

She patted his back with an identical grin. "Smart boy."

They schooled their expressions and knocked on the door. The Principal welcomed with a wide smile. "My head students. How are you two?"

Manik gave a polite nod and Nandini exchanged a few pleasantries with him as they both took their respective seats.

"So, Nandini, what's this meeting about?", asked the principal.

"Sir, Manik has an idea."

"Feel free, Manik", he encouraged. "What is this idea now?"

The principal smile widened by the time Manik had explained his idea. "Where did this come from?", he asked.

Nandini knew he would already accept it. She was about to blurt out but Manik had already started explaining.

"It would allow us to learn something new", he told.

Nandini was surprised at his reason. She had half a thought that he would confess the actual truth. "And increase a line or two in the CV", she added, instead.

"Brilliant", exclaimed the Principal. "Why don't you brief me over the idea sometime during the next week on how you want to introduce all this? We could draft notice and announce it in the classes."

They nodded.

"Manik, are you facing any difficulties managing classes and head duties?", asked the Principal.

"No, sir. I could manage and Nandini is helping me", he told.

Nandini grinned at the Principal. By now, even the Principal was aware of his discomfort with any compliments. He chuckled and shooed them off to attend the classes.

Outside the room, Nandini smirked at Manik. "I never thought you know how to lie, Malhotra."

"I didn't lie. I just told him a more formal reason", he argued.

She laughed and nodded. "You realize right even with this idea, there still would be rumors but you don't have to defend my honor every time." She didn't want Manik to worry about her but she chose her words carefully, lacing it with a tease, so as not to hurt him.

Manik stopped abruptly and stared at her with a frown. "You thought, I was defending your honor?", he asked. But before Nandini could open her mouth, he was shaking his head. "Nandini, I apologize for making you think that. I wasn't defending you. I would never defend you unless you want me to because you are capable enough to do that yourself. You are the strongest person in the entire college and I would never insult you by shielding you."

It was new. She sometimes wondered about the mechanism of his brain. It was as if she hadn't met a person who even came close to him. Probably, it was the books he read or the way he lived but Manik was a unique person and there didn't exist another. "You are so abnormal and stupid and precious and I don't even know what to do with you."

He grinned at that, probably missing the compliment because of the exasperated sigh in Nandini's tone.

XXX

After college, Manik and Nandini escaped to the cabin to work on the plan of formation of clubs. Manik handed her a paper.

"I have drafted some major hobbies. We could start with these and put up a notice for interested students", he told.

Nandini went through it. She rolled her eyes when she spotted the book club at the top but otherwise, didn't comment. It ranged from coding, photography, dance, sports, debates, management, and a few others. She rounded off a few popular ones among them. "Let's add two lines. One, they could give any other suggestions they have for starting a new club. Two, they have to register the club with the college. Since it's the initial stage, the administration wouldn't bother. Hence, they could register with us and we can talk to the principal."

He nodded. Nandini drafted a rough notice and gave it to Manik to read. Once done, Manik sent a text to Cabir. He went for an assignment and promised to pick Manik up after his work.

"Tell me about the book club. Do you want to head it?", asked Nandini.

"No", told Manik, "Cabir was right. I can't manage to head a club when I am already packed up. I am hardly getting any free time. I might sneak around though."

"Is it getting hectic?", she asked. She wanted to give him some time to get acquainted with the work and hence, Nandini never talked about the extra work that he was doing.

"It sure is but I am happy. I feel responsible and it's different", he told.

"You don't need to strain yourself, Manik", she said. "We could always cut down the work."

"You are the one who is always straining yourself, Nandini", he told. "And if I feel I couldn't manage any day, I would inform you. I promise."

She nodded. She was so proud of the boy, the man he was growing up into. She wanted to say so many things to him but instead of overwhelming him, she stared at his list. "What do you think is my extra interest?", she asked. The previous day when Manik first came up with an idea, she was surprised to find Manik knew what everyone's extra interests were. He always seemed to be in his own world with his book but it proved that he listens and his observation skills were sharpest.

He didn't include Nandini though and she didn't blame him. Nandini never took her time out to sit and think about what her interests were. When she was younger, her grandfather was the one who took her out or indulged her in various activities, both educational and fun. After his death, she was initially busy figuring out the reason behind her parents' hatred and now to ignore them.

"I couldn't confine you to one interest", muttered Manik.

Nandini furrowed her brows in confusion. "What?"

"I did include every one of our interests but I couldn't circle out one for you. You race like a damn racer, you manage a whole event by yourself, you could go on punching people. The whole college depends on you and then you disappear for days. Abhimanyu said that you manage your company sometimes and if that's the case, you are into business already. Like I said, can't confine you to one interest", he explained.

Hearing someone talk about her, other than rumors or work, felt foreign to Nandini. She was sure Manik was close to admiring her and Nandini didn't know what she had ever done to deserve that. She shrugged, dismissing his words. "It's good to have hobbies. Racing is good but it's for distraction."

"If you feel you don't have a hobby, you could learn one", he told.

Nandini smiled at how easy he made her feel about it. She promised Manik to at least try some new hobby.

"Maybe you could start reading books and we could together sneak into the book club", he told.

Nandini laughed at that. "I appreciate your subtle way to make a nerd out of me but I would pass. Textbooks are already too much. Can't willingly touch a book. Sorry."

He argued about the difference between a textbook and fiction and how the latter is almost relaxing. Nandini humored him by listening for a while and punctured the dreamy look on his face by rejecting the offer.

Find someone who believes you are strong enough to protect yourself but would protect you when your strength is shaken. :)

In simpler words, find Manik. Aur ek mujhe bhi bhejna. :P