49. The Future

Hello Fam :)

Sorry for breaking your hearts during the previous chapter. I hope this would answer some of your questions. :)

Happy Reading...

Cabir was furious when they reached their home, surprising the butlers. He goofed around all the time. When they asked Manik if they were okay, he assured them of handling his brother. In his room, Cabir was pacing around from one place to another as Manik took a seat and waited patiently for him to calm down.

"Were you really serious back in college?", he asked. "Okay, I agree, it's Nandini but how could you stop being friends with Abhimanyu and Mukti? I thought you understood what friends meant. You just don't end friendships for some momentary feelings, Manik."

"Cabir, I didn't stop being friends with them. We are just not contacting for a few days or years", told Manik.

Cabir sighed heavily. "Because you don't want Nandini to get awkward. I understand, Manik. I hate her."

"Baby, you don't hate her. Nandini is still our best friend."

"She can't give you hope and walk away, Manik."

"She never gave me any hope", he told. When Cabir refused to believe, he pulled his brother in front of him and took his brother's hand into his. "Kid, sometime back when we went on a drive, she said, she didn't have the freedom to love. She is bound by the responsibilities of Murthy Industries and the people working there. She wants to keep their future secure. Imagine, who would even put the people working for them before their personal lives? That's Nandini, Cabir. She might pretend whatever she wants but she could never intentionally harm a person."

"I am sorry, bhai", muttered Cabir.

"Baby, she said, if she had the freedom to love, she would choose me. That's enough for me. Somewhere inside her heart, she understands me but sometimes responsibilities weigh you down. I have my responsibilities too. I have things I need to take up and this isn't the right age to barge into her house and ask her to marry me. I need to prove my capabilities."

"Bhai, you are capable", protested Cabir.

Manik shook his head. "Baby, kid, let's just give some time. If we are meant to be together, she will be back with us. If not, I haven't stopped loving dad after he left us and I don't need her presence in my life to love her."

"Are we still staying together?", he asked.

"I need to stay alive, right?", said Manik. It brought a smile on Cabir's face and Manik felt some sort of relief. At least, they were fine. He pulls his brother close and kisses his head. "Kid, you and mom are the only ones I have for myself. You two are the only ones I can call you as my own. We are a family. I can do anything for you two and I won't let anyone come between us. Neither Nandini nor Navya. I told Abhimanyu and Mukti that they are special to me, right? Baby, you aren't just special, you are my everything. How can I leave you?", he explained.

"I was scared. You were parting ways with everyone."

"Never from you, kid. You are still my baby brother. You can still barge into my room anytime. You can still sneak into my bed in the middle of the night, ask me for comfort, take me to the drives, and argue with me. I am still buying you chocolates. Nothing has changed between us, okay?", told Manik.

"I don't understand if you had your heart broken or it's mine", muttered Cabir.

Manik laughed at that. "Is it you, baby, because it's not me."

"Bhai, stop pretending."

"I am not pretending, Cabir", said Manik. "Nandini asked me not to let anyone break my heart. Not to make any girl my priority to that point where I can't live without her. I am following her. She is amazing, you know. I wouldn't be me if not for her. She is the best teacher I can have."