29. The Head Boy

Hello Fam :)

Happy Reading...

It was the day for counting and the declaration of the election results and there was a festive atmosphere all over the campus. Everyone was excited to see who their new head boy was. Nandini met the staff, giving them instructions, before meeting her friends at the canteen. She found Manik hunched over his book and his whole posture was tense. Mukti was quiet, not usual but not very unusual whereas Abhimanyu and Cabir too were the same which was bothering. Nandini knew it was all due to the results. She gave a small smile to all the three while shaking Manik back to reality, given the boy's history of getting lost in his bookish world.

"Are you tense for the results?", asked Nandini, smiling in assurance, "Manik, it's fine..."

"What? No", he replied and his frown deepened as he stared at the pages again. "It's this boy Digory. He would get himself killed by his stupid acts. He should have listened to Polly when she told him it was a bad idea."

Yeah, right, thought Nandini, rubbing her forehead and she seriously wanted to slap him but Cabir beat her to it.

"Bhai, what the hell", he yelled, snatching the book. "We are out of our minds thinking about the results and you don't even care."

Manik rolled his eyes and took his book. Opening the page he was reading, he told, "Nandini and I had a deal already. The results don't matter. I don't need to lose my peace of mind because of the results."

She facepalmed herself and when Cabir tried to question regarding the deal, she pointed a finger at him. "Don't you dare talk to me before the results are announced."

XXX

Due to some power issues, the results were postponed hour by hour, and the students were left to do self-study for the exams which were due in three weeks.

Nandini had both her knees up on her seat, her back resting to the wall, as she tried to understand relativistic Quantum mechanics from her book. Beside her, Mukti was scribbling something in her notebook. The angry frown on her head told her she was nowhere near to the answer.

Manik was sitting in front of her, sneaking into his novel. He was almost done with it. Nandini shook her head. Knowing the boy, he would have already completed his study. She was almost jealous of him until she saw Abhimanyu, who was banging his head lightly on the table. If it was because the topic was beyond his understanding or he was cramming up, she wouldn't know.

She once again looked at her book. The graph wasn't making any sense, the equations were weird and she didn't even know half of the notations. Why did they have to discover something to understand something they couldn't even see?

She would have continued to mentally curse all the people behind the introduction of Quantum physics if she wasn't interrupted by a message on her mobile. It was from the administration block. Looks like it's time for the results.

Nandini, after informing her friends, left the class.

XXX

It was Manik.

The voting results lead to Manik as the head boy and Nandini was overwhelmed. The boy took a step and luck favored him. Now all he had to do was to prove himself. She wanted to scream, laugh, and hug the hell out of him. Instead, Nandini stood at a corner after announcing in the class and waited for the crowd to finish their congratulations. To the naked eye, she wasn't smiling but Abhimanyu and Mukti knew her for long. They took her into a group hug while Manik was busy with his classmates.