10. The Baby Brother

Hello Fam :)

As I have told you, I will be updating during the weekends but I have an exam this Sunday. Hence, an early update.

By the way, look who's here. :P

Happy Reading...

Manik went to college early, the next day, in order to get himself prepared for the class after missing a whole day's lessons. He asked one of the boys about them and was noting down the important points whatever were available as Abhimanyu was seen nowhere. Just a few minutes into the start of their class, he was pulled up from his seat into a rough hug. It was Abhimanyu while Mukti, who was standing beside him, grinned at Manik. Manik frowned when Nandini rolled her eyes ignoring them and went to the last bench. 

"I am sorry", said Abhimanyu, breaking the hug. 

Manik didn't know what he was sorry for but before he could ask them, the professor arrived with a stack of papers for their class quiz. They couldn't talk during the class and it was later during the break in the canteen when Manik again found his friends. 

Abhimanyu pulled a chair for him after an over excited wave of his hand and asked him to sit. "Were you sick yesterday?", he asked Manik. 

"No", replied Manik, "I am perfectly alright. Why did you have to ask that question?"

Abhimanyu looked skeptically at Manik before turning to Nandini, who was ignoring everyone, Manik in particular, and was busy playing some game on her mobile. 

After the previous night's conversation with Abhimanyu about the whole Harshad's drama, Manik was trying to see Nandini in a new light. She was hiding something behind her anger, he thought to himself. Gathering his courage, he cleared his throat. "Hello, Nandini."

She ignored him as if he wasn't present. He looked at Abhimanyu and Mukti, who too were confused at Nandini's behavior. 

"Did I do something?", asked Manik again, "Nandini, I apologize for whatever-"

She cut him off by banging her hand on the table, her trademark signature indicating she was pissed off. "Stop messing with me. Just because I called you, doesn't mean you are an undercover prince of some forbidden kingdom that people need to take an appointment to get you answer your calls."

"You called me?", Manik asked dumbfounded. 

"Where the hell is your goddamn mobile, you idiot?", she asked, gritting her teeth. 

Manik frowned and shrugged. "I forgot it in the office. I will collect it after college", replied the boy. 

Nandini gave him an incredulous look. Abhimanyu and Mukti were equally confused. 

"Bro", called Abhi, "don't tell me you work in some part-time job after college hours?" 

Manik shook his head. "No, my mom was out of town and they needed a few signatures on some important files. I was reading them the whole day", he explained. 

"You own a company?", asked Mukti. 

"No, how can I own a company at nineteen?", Manik asked in disbelief. "My mom owns the company." 

Nandini rolled her eyes and slapped his hand which was on the table. "It's the same thing, you prat. Which company?" 

Manik shifted uncomfortably in his seat on finding himself the center of attention even if there were only three of them. "There are many branches", he said, confusedly.

Nandini glared at him. "Stop using your over smart brain. Name?"

"Malhotra group of Industries", said Manik finally.