30. Nyonika Malhotra

Hello Fam :)

I am so sorry for disappearing. I am stuck up with college work and couldn't find time to come online. :(

If anyone wants to read, @thefirequeen20 has taken an interview, please, go through it. :)

The final character revelation of Nyonika Malhotra. :P

Happy Reading...

It was Friday and Cabir wrote his last exam earlier during the day. After taking a short nap, he went to Manik's room and found him sleeping. He chuckled seeing his twin. Manik could go days without sleeping due to exams or because he has to finish his book but once he was done, he takes a long break and catches up on his missed sleep.

Without making a sound, Cabir slipped out of the room and went ahead with the plan of meeting his school friends.

XXX

It was after midnight when Cabir sneaked back into the house. His mom was out of town and he had a month-long semester break from college. He wanted to take full advantage of it. So, it came as a surprise when he saw her in the living room of their house.

"Mom", he waved awkwardly, "when did you come back?"

"An hour back", said Nyonika. She looked up from her file that she was reading and stretched her hand, asking him to come to her.

Cabir hesitated and raised both his hands. "I am sorry I didn't know you were home. I went to meet some of my friends and we didn't realize we were late."

Nyonika waved her hand. "Cabir, until you can keep yourself safe and out of trouble, it's fine with me. You don't have to explain yourself every time but yeah, make sure this doesn't become a habit. I don't want all your late-night activities to affect your health."

He grinned and pinched his throat in a silent promise, earning a chuckle from his mother. The woman gathered the files on the couch and the coffee table before piling it neatly. She patted the place beside her looking at him.

"Can I talk to you, please?", she asked.

Cabir nodded, still unsure if he was in trouble or not as he took a seat at the far end of the couch, making sure he had enough room to run away. Manik wasn't there which meant he wouldn't save him. "Did I do something again?", he asked to break the silence.

She shook her head. "What's going on in your college, kid?", she asked. "I thought of talking to Manik but the boy was already asleep by the time I reached home. Guess stuffing all his books inside his brain exhausted him."

He laughed. This was his mother speaking to him who would tease her kids and doesn't care if they didn't score full marks in an exam until they aren't wasting their lives. Blinded by his anger, Cabir missed her all these years. "Manik is the head boy of our college now", he confessed.

He explained to her about their previous head boy and the incident with Nandini neither revealing the names nor going into much detail. She was smart and she would understand.

"Mom, the college needed a head student in the middle of the year and it was the perfect opportunity for bhai to come out of his shell. Manik is smart enough to manage his studies along with head duties. After college, he would be in a perfect position to handle the company", he explained.

"That's true", said Nyonika, and Cabir sighed in relief. His mom agreeing, even partly, was good enough for him. "Wasn't he scared now? Wouldn't it be a burden to him, emotionally?"

"Mom", he called, squeezing her hand. "Bhai has to start somewhere. If it's in college, I would be there to check on him. He is handling the company too well in your absence but you guide him all the time. What if you aren't available someday if there is an emergency here and you are busy somewhere else? What then? He has to handle the whole company all by himself and that would be a real panic for him."