20. Nandini's Day

Hello Fam :)

The longest I had ever written. ;)

Note - A point I want to clear here as there are many doubts regarding this. Manik isn't an introvert in this book. Manik is the way he is because he wasn't allowed to grow up like a normal child. He has been locked up in an all-boys school, away from his family. His interactions were limited to his school teachers, his classmates if they had the work and the butlers at his house. Cabir has always been in Mumbai until he left for his internship for a year. Feel free to ask any more questions, if any. :)

Happy Reading...

Nandini, in a desperate attempt to escape the morning drama at her home, rushed away before her college time. The meeting that was supposed to be held in the morning before classes got postponed due to the principal getting stuck in an emergency situation. The day before when she dropped Mukti home, she promised to pick her up for college since her mood was still down. But there was still time for that and she didn't want to dive into another drama after escaping one. The most important point was the weird noises coming from her stomach due to skipping her meals since the previous night.

Finally making a decision, she informed Abhimanyu through a text about joining for breakfast. Seriously, half of the Murthy properties were on her name. She shouldn't be starving herself for some irrelevant people just because they flaunt like they own her life.

XXX

Ishita Thakkar was a good cook but when you had to take most of your meals amidst the hate of Murthy house, Ishita Thakkar was a great cook. Hence, Nandini rejoiced every time she could eat in the Thakkar home. After her grandfather, Thakkar's were the only ones who would come close to family for her.

"Ishu, I would grovel your feet every day, if I get to eat such amazing food", she said, complimenting the only woman she considered as a mother figure in her life and winked at her when she slapped her head, playfully. She was having her breakfast along with Abhimanyu as Ishita waited for her husband, who stayed the night at the office due to some pending work, when Raman came home, exhausted but the smile intact.

"Are you guys off to college?", he asked them.

"Sadly yes", answered Nandini, "but we have the brightest point of the day, the food."

Raman shook his head, amused, but schooled his features when he saw Abhimanyu stuffing the food in his mouth. "Abhi, meet me in the study after your breakfast", he told and turned to Nandini, "I hope I have a few minutes."

Nandini gave him a thumbs up because Abhimanyu had his mouth wide open and the food halfway to reach it. As soon as his dad left the room, he turned to Ishita, grabbing her hand. "Mom, I swear I didn't do anything. Help me."

Ishita shook her head. "You know he doesn't like it when someone interrupts his 'study time'. Why don't you finish this meeting and I will bake your favorite chocolate cake by the time you return from your college?"

He pouted. "That comes with a clause. If I return alive from his study room. Anyways, I guess a chocolate cake is a good way to farewell my life."

"Best friend, Nandini Murthy will accompany you in your last walk to death", interrupted Nandini. She saw a protest from Ishita and grinned at her. "I might save my best friend from the evil clutches of death", she said with a wink making the older woman chuckled.

Abhimanyu wiped a fake tear and wrapped an arm around her neck. "The best friend I could ever ask."

XXX

Raman rubbing his forehead with his eyes closed when Nandini went to his study room. He had loosened his tie, folded the cuffs of his shirt and his whole posture gave away the fact that he wanted nothing but to crash on the bed. If he wanted to talk to Abhimanyu at this time, it must be important. She glanced at her best friend before knocking at the door and smiled so widely that it brought an instant smile on the elder Thakkar when he opened his eyes.