6. Discussing Manik

Hello Fam :)

Here's the double update. :)

Happy Reading...

As soon as Nandini sat in the car, Manik handed his mobile to her and asked her to enter her address. She said she could tell him the directions but he declined by saying he was more comfortable with the GPS. Nandini noticed he was more silent than usual, not that she knew much about him, but he was biting his lip and a frown was plastered on his forehead.

"Ask away", she said.

He smiled embarrassedly which at least took care of the frown. "Am I that obvious?"

"Very."

He took a deep breath as if preparing himself. "Mukti and Abhimanyu-"

She didn't let him finish his question and passed a glare in his direction. "They are in a relationship. Their parents know about them. So stop judging."

Manik shook his head, glanced at his mobile screen. It was a straight road ahead. "No, I am not judging them. I just thought you were in a relationship with Abhimanyu."

That made her laugh. He was probably the first one to think this about her. "Abhimanyu and I? Are you this bad at imagining? Listen, he is my best friend. He is crazy but he is love. The guy knows me since we were kids. And so does Mukti."

"Wow. Do friendships stay this long?", he mumbled.

"Didn't you have any long term friends?"

Manik looked at her, confusion written all over his face. "No. The only long term best friend is my brother. But sometimes I feel, he too is with me because he had to. Unlike others, he doesn't have an option right."

He smiled but Nandini felt the sadness in it. She frowned at him but didn't comment anything as it was his personal space. She couldn't imagine why would someone like Manik couldn't make a friend. It wasn't the first time she questioned the intentions of his mother. She brushed the thought away. Not all mothers are devils, she reminded herself. "What about back in England? I thought you liked that place."

"I do. They used to tell me they were my friends. I had many friends during exams and assignments but-", he said, casually.

"Friends don't inform you about being friends. They make you feel they are friends with you", she trailed off looking at his smile. It was sad. He knew and still. "Why do you help them when you know they were using you?"

"I can't force someone to be my friend but I wouldn't deny them help when they are in need. What type of a person would that make me if I am calculating my every move?", he said, his smile back to normal.

Nandini nodded. Her mind was working far ahead than its normal speed. Thoughts were forming. Manik was the exact opposite of someone she knew. Calculating their every move and acting only if they get profits out of it. She closed her eyes to close her mind. When it didn't happen, she snapped at him. "Can't we go faster than this speed?"

"I saw a speed limit sign. I suppose there's some school around here", he said, looking around.

"Which school stays open during the night, Manik?", she asked without hiding her sarcasm.

Manik shrugged. "But the rule still holds, right?"

They didn't speak after that. Manik got busy with the route and Nandini replayed his words in her head. He was different from everyone she had met earlier. She returned back to reality when Manik halted after reaching her place. Muttering a good night and a short thanks, she stepped out of the car but held the door open when she realized something and turned around. "Do you know the route to your house?"