11. The Race

Hello Fam :)

Is everyone safe at whichever place you are staying?

Happy Reading...

After bunking college, Manik changed into his pajamas before going to Cabir's room. Expectedly, it was a mess. Clothes, bags, papers, pens, and everything was scattered all around the floor and the couch. The only clean thing was the bed and the person behind the mess, lying on it. Manik tiptoed across the room to reach his brother, trying not to step on anything. His brother has weird priorities and he didn't want to hurt him.

"Kid, your room is unhygienic. How are you breathing even?", he asked Cabir.

"It's not unhygienic. I am a little too artistic than a common man." When Manik gave him a look, he said, "I don't know where to start."

"And you decided to sleep until your room magically gets cleaned?" Manik regretted seeing his brother all perked up. "No, baby, that's not possible. Let's get started. I will help you."

"Manik, why can't we ask someone else to clean it up?", protested Cabir.

"Because it's rude. You made the whole mess. Why does someone have to clear it for you?", he said, already picking up the scattered clothes. Cabir followed him, although reluctantly. Manik smiled. His baby brother wouldn't let him do all the work alone. "Seriously, how do you even find your precious camera here, kid?"

Cabir smirked. "It's safe in my cupboard."

Cabir is passionate about becoming a wildlife photographer and his camera was one of his most prized possessions, second only to his brother. To distract him from sulking, Manik asked him about his work and all the questions to make sure his baby brother was fine.

When the room was a bit bearable, Manik ruffled Cabir's hair. "I will ask someone to arrange them in your wardrobe. You are amazing, kid."

And the simple compliment lit the whole face of his brother that Manik felt a rush of protective feeling towards him all over again.

Cabir laid back on the bed with a heavy thud. "What's going in your life? Any interesting events that I need to know?"

"I ordered a few books online", said Manik, grinning.

Cabir chuckled. "Manik, there are interesting things other than books too."

Manik took a seat beside him. "Of course", he said sarcastically, "because my baby will stay at least a kilometer away from books, yeah?"

"You know me so well and why not. You are my soul-brother."

Manik raised an eyebrow. "Soul-sisters are common, Cabir. Soul-brothers?"

"Why should only girls have all the fun?", he said offhandedly. "Speaking of which, how come your friend's circle has two girls already? I have never seen you speaking to even one."

"I don't know, Cabir. I was friends with Abhimanyu and the other two followed. Otherwise, I had all the plans to avoid Nandini."

Cabir narrowed his gaze. "Avoiding Nandini? Did she do something to you?"

"No, baby. She didn't. Nandini is that accident girl I told you about."

"And she didn't create any problem after that?"

Cabir smiled when Manik shook his head but frowned again thinking about their meet at college. "Do you have a crush on her?", he asked, "because that head boy was addressing you both as lovers."

Manik looked at him as if he has gone mad. "Baby, Harshad always talks rubbish. Nandini is scary. Anyway, why would I have a crush on a real person?"