45. Harshad Factor

Hello Fam :)

Happy Reading...

Nandini was getting ready for college when her father came to her room. She groaned internally but otherwise didn't let him see her. Instead, she fastened up her pace.

"I heard you have been extra-friendly with your future mother-in-law", he said.

Nandini raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? Mother-in-law? I wouldn't have gone to that stupid party if it weren't for your message and did you assign spies to check about my whereabouts?"

He chuckled. "I really wonder about your capabilities, daughter. You are manipulative enough to change Nyonika Malhotra's opinion about you."

"Glad I could inherit some of your genes", she told. It was one of the reasons she avoided business parties. Why couldn't Nyonika have met her in some other way?

"So, shall I talk to her about your marriage?", he asked.

"Will you cut your bullshit? I have already told your wife not to come anywhere near my friends. Hasn't she told you?", she said. Nandini wanted to scream her lungs out but she was already feeling tired even if it's just the start of the day.

"You don't have to do it for free of cost. I have a plan", he told and forwarded a file.

Nandini nodded and took the file before sitting on her bed. She was waiting for this plan since the day the Malhotras have visited for lunch. The plan was of course stupid. It contained every known asset of the Malhotras, their companies, and its branches. Her father had prepared multiple proposals for each of its branches.

"We could approach the branches instead of her with the proposals. It's not like Nyonika Malhotra would keep tabs on every small business of hers", said Mr. Murthy.

Nandini nodded again. It was stupid of him to assume Nyonika Malhotra would leave one of her companies unattended, however small it was. She didn't comment and went through the rest of the file. "It's a nice homework you have done here." Her father looked smug. "I think I have a proposal of my own. Why don't you go through that?"

Mr. Murthy's smile was crooked as Nandini rummaged through her cupboard to take out another file. "I knew you had my gene somewhere inside you."

Nandini smiled and waited for his smile to turn into pure rage. After her encounter with Nyonika Malhotra, Nandini collected the messages he had sent to Singhal from Vishal.

"Were you spying on me?", he asked. He was livid.

"And what were you doing here?", asked Nandini, pointing at his file, "Writing a fan blog of Nyonika Malhotra?"

His face softened but Nandini knew it was an act. "I am doing it for you, daughter. Nyonika Malhotra hates you and she would never let you get married to Manik. If we are going according to my plan, you could have the guy you love."

"Stop masking your greed as care. I have told you already. I am not in love with Manik and I am not getting married to him. Ever. You accept it, you live as a Murthy. You don't, I am talking to the lawyer." She stormed off without waiting for his reply.

XXX

The conversation and the after-effects had forced Nandini to miss out on the first half of the classes. Her Chemistry Professor, who had met her at the entrance, had taken her to the Principal to complain. Even though the Principal let her go with a mild warning, it got on the Professor's nerves when Nandini didn't even protest and he scolded her some more. Finally, when the day got over and she thought, she could have some peace, her car refused to get started. She kicked the tire and closed her eyes, leaning on the side door to breathe in some air. She was too tired.