35. The Head Student(s)

Hello Fam :)

Did I forget to mention that the majority of the upcoming chapters will be heavily based on Nandini's POV and her changing dynamics with Manik? 

Happy Reading...

Nandini had a meeting with the principal and the committee which means Manik had a meeting too. He was surprised to find one on his first day as the head boy. He informed Nandini that he was glad he didn't have to skip his classes. Nandini cuffed his head before dragging him to the second seminar room which is often used by the staff for the meetings.

She was setting up the projector when Manik called her. It was the fourth time he was interrupting her with his unending questions. He was nervous but she was starting to lose her patience.

"Nandini, why am I asked to handle the biggest event in the history of our college as my first work?", he asked.

"Because it was scheduled long back and you stepping up as a head boy now was a coincidence", she answered. "You think the angle is fine or do you want me to tilt it?"

"It's perfect. Nandini, I don't know anything about the meeting or the event in general. There's no clue on the website too", he asked again.

That's it. She had controlled herself a lot because it was his first meeting but the rate at which he was going, he could ruin the meeting and their time was already scarce. The event was about to start at the end of the week. She turned around to ask him to choose between keeping his mouth shut or leave the room but one look at his face and she couldn't let the words out of her mouth. The look on the boy's face resembled that of a lost child in a huge circus amidst the meanest of the clowns. She sighed before dropping in a chair beside him.

"Manik, haven't you ever attended a meeting of your company?", she asked him.

"I did", he said.

Because, Of course. He is Manik. "I don't understand why are you this nervous then. You have already been through this."

"It's different. No one would scold me there even if I make a mistake and I at least take first-hand information regarding the meeting."

"Manik, no one would scold you here too. Listen, the professors know only the information we share with them. If you don't know something, we tell them that we are still researching. You can have a look at the file I was reading. That has most of the information about the event and I am there to back you up if you make a mistake", she explained.

He smiled, small and sweet as he muttered a small thank you before going through the papers. She should have sent them to him earlier or particularly, she should try to start working along with another head student. It was new for her and she might need some practice.

The room started filling in one by one. "Oh my!", exclaimed Mr. Verma, their English professor, "Are we supposed to get used to having two head students in the meetings now?"

Manik scrambled from his chair and gave a nod politely. Nandini just grinned. She wasn't the only one finding it new to have a working head boy. When the other professors joined the room, almost everyone gave a second look to Manik. Good thing, he was wrapped up in the file. Nandini didn't want to deal with another nervous attack.

"Hope, I am not late", said the principal, announcing his entry. Unlike others, he greeted Manik in his usual jovial self without a hint of surprise. When did Manik earn the principal's trust?, thought Nandini but she brushed it off. It might be because of the Malhotra surname.

They started the presentation giving the details of all the events throughout the week. Manik was good. He had grasped over the topic rather quickly and made his own points. It took almost an hour to cover everything.