19. A Drunken Affair

Hello Fam :)

Happy Reading...

Manik was on cloud nine when he finished his novel, the 3rd that week. He felt a bit selfish for behaving sternly with Cabir but he really wanted to finish his novel. The college workload was less but with his mom being out of town, there might be some juggling between his college and the office and he might not find time to complete his ongoing novel. He went to Cabir's room to say sorry to the kid but one of the butlers informed him about Cabir feeling himself as a robot due to all the studying he has completed and hence going out to experience what a sane human felt like. Manik rolled his eyes before thanking the butler, who was trying hard to stifle his laughter. He went to his room, grabbed his keys, and went for a long drive.

Manik loved the evening breeze of Mumbai. The city was crowded and there were so many people around that one felt the world at a single place. The traffic was as bad but there was something about the city that grips everyone. He didn't remember what he had left behind while going to England but after returning to India, between getting frustrated to reach the college on time in the morning traffic and sneaking out to get some light breeze, he fell in love with the city of dreams.

One hour into strolling around, Manik ended up in a secluded street. He sighed. Directions were never his strongest point. He clicked his mobile to check the location when a call from an unknown number interrupted him. It was international. Frowning, he answered it.

"Bhai", he heard the over-excited scream of a girl. It might be a wrong number. No girl had ever called him on his mobile.

"I apologize for asking but who's this? Have you misdialed the number somehow?", he asked.

"Bhai, it's me, Navya. Remember?"

Why would Navya call him? "Hello, Navya. I hope you are doing fine?"

"I am fine, Bhai. How are you?"

"I am fine too. Listen, Navya, Cabir isn't with me. I actually came out for some air", he told.

"I called to talk to you. Can't I talk to my favorite Bhai?"

Manik chuckled at the drama. Of course, his brother wouldn't choose a girl who doesn't have a bone of drama in her body. "Of course, you can. I apologize for the miscommunication."

He bit his lip when he didn't know what else to speak and felt grateful as Navya started blabbering. Looks like he didn't have to worry. Manik climbed down his car and leaned across the side as he listened to her nonstop chatter. Cabir was in a few relationships but never did he introduce anyone to Manik. Navya was the first one and he liked her as much as he had heard about her from Cabir. He felt she was perfect for his baby brother from the way she was making him smile. He felt she could become a part of his family if the easy way she was mingling up with Manik was anything to go by. He felt he didn't know enough about humans to compare if Navya was as perfect as on the surface because every cute novel comes with a twist and a bad person who makes the hero's life hell. His baby brother was the hero and he never wants anyone to hurt him ever.

Manik shook his head because he shouldn't assume things about people he didn't know properly. He blamed the recent mystery novel he finished behind all the paranoia. While he concentrated on whatever Navya was blabbering, his heartbeat sped up and the words caught in his throat in fright when a girl crashed on his chest.

"Excuse me", he asked, pushing the girl off him. His fear turned into worry when she glanced up at him and he found Mukti? "Mukti? What are you doing here?"

"Manik, baby", she slurred, "Why are you roaming outside?" She clutched his shirt in her fists. You are not safe here, baby. There are bad boys here. Go home", she whispered. She was drunk.