13. Malhotra Brothers?

Hello Fam :)

Remember me? Happy Valentine's day. 

I am really sorry that I am unable to find time to even write the chapters. I have to attend college throughout the week (no weekends) and I am usually tired after coming to my room. 

Suggest me, if you want me to take down the book and upload it once I have completed writing it. (I don't know how many months it might take.) Or do you want me to continue updating while keeping the 'On Hold' beside the title? Whoever doesn't want to wait can remove it from the library and add it once it is completed.

Happy Reading...

When Manik and Cabir returned home after their long drive and dinner, it was already past midnight but none of the brothers noticed the time as they walked inside the house shoving each other playfully. Manik was laughing at one of the jokes his brother uttered. His smile dropped down and his steps faltered when his mother came into his focus. Manik shuffled through his brain whether Nyonika had mentioned the date when she was returning but found none. A wave of panic coursed through his body.

As soon as Cabir's brain noticed the complete contrast in his brother's mood, he glanced up from his mobile and found his mother. "Hello, mom", he muttered unenthusiastically.

If Manik wasn't searching for a reason to hide away, he would have glared at Cabir and would have silently asked him to behave.

Nyonika stood up from the couch in the living room, keeping the file aside that she was reading. She crossed her arms in front of her as she glared at both of them. "Is it a time to come back home, boys?", she asked more to Cabir than Manik. "I understand about your only goal in life is to defy me, Cabir, but at least stop spoiling your brother."

Cabir frowned as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "Mom, isn't it too soon to start with your usual lectures?", he asked, sarcasm dripping in his voice, "I have just returned. We just went for a long drive. Manik wasn't-"

Nyonika cut him off, raising an eyebrow. "Manik? He is your elder brother. I thought you at least respected him"

Manik, who was staring at his feet, looked up at his mom in confusion because it was really a meaningless comment and he felt Nyonika was arguing for the sake of it but he kept his mouth shut.

Because he is Cabir and his brother doesn't have a bone of subtlety, he instead rolled his eyes so wide that Manik thought it would fall off. "Yes, mom", said Cabir, "he is a whole 4 minutes and 36 seconds elder to me." He threw his arms up in the air, letting his frustration consume the whole living room. "God, why did I even come home?", he muttered to no one in particular.

Nyonika rolled her eyes and ignored her younger son. She turned to Manik. "Go and have your dinner", she told Manik.

"We had our dinner outside", informed Manik. He waited for his mother to start yelling but all he got was a wave of her hand asking him to go to sleep. Nyonika never yelled at Manik.

Finding an excuse, Manik hurried away to his room. He could still hear Cabir and his mom arguing and he wanted to stay by Cabir's side to resolve the things but his nerves didn't support him. These are the times when he wished to borrow an ounce of courage from his brother. He went to his room to overthink and regret every decision he has ever taken in his life.

XXX

After Manik left the living room, Nyonika glared at Cabir. "He was fine before you came home, Cabir. Do you have to now inflict your rebellious characteristics on him too? You have a problem if I point out something as soon as you return home but you can take your brother on late-night long drives and make him eat junk even if you know it's unhygienic. I have given up trying to figure out the pleasure you get from all these activities of yours but now I have to worry about Manik too, right?"