Chapter 1

It had been a week or so since Meryl was attacked by the paparazzi, the drama in Indiana with Don's mother, their amazing time together in Maine with the babies and then dealing with Dana's brain tumor. Ever since Meryl had put her foot down with Dana, saying she needed to rest and recover for her husband and children's sakes, life had been quiet and wonderful. Jane was actually leaving them alone. Brad's treatments were going very well. Mary would send occasional updates on Dana to Meryl, but Dana was giving Meryl the space she needed. Mamie was getting emotionally stronger by the day now that her divorce was final. Henry and Suzie were enjoying doing life together raising an almost 10-month-old Lily. Grace and Mamie were both busy modeling and acting. Louisa was busier than ever during her last semester at Vasser. Brady and Mags were growing and thriving more and more every day, with their parents' undivided attention. Don was enjoying his parental leave and was so glad that Meryl was resting. Her latest health scare with being attacked by the paparazzi, and then her almost stopping breathing due to a reaction to the medication, scared him to death; and he was pretty sure it took years off of his life. He couldn't imagine life without her in it; not only could he not imagine it, but he also didn't want to imagine it. He and Meryl were both grateful for the weeks they had together as a family, finally, after a crazy few months. Even though Meryl kept telling Don she was feeling better, he was still as protective as ever, and she knew he would be until she saw Dr. Abbott again.

***

Meryl smiled as she looked down at the tray she was carrying upstairs, hoping her husband would be surprised. He had been so amazing, taking wonderful care of her and the babies and their other children the last couple of weeks, that she was glad when she woke up earlier than he did and was able to surprise him. For the last few days, she had woken up without a headache or any nausea. She hoped that meant that really was healed, but she knew she would find out later that day when she went for her appointment with Dr. Abbott. With a smile, Meryl made her ways upstairs, hoping that Don hadn't woken up yet.

***

Don stirred awake and reached out to cuddle with his wife, surprised and disappointed she wasn't there. He sat up and looked at the clock on her bedside table, it wasn't late by any means and was a little early. He wondered where she could be. He knew he was driving her crazy with his hovering, but he didn't care, he just wanted to make sure she was alright. As he heard their babies making their sleeping gurgling sounds so he knew she wasn't with them. He just hoped that she was alright and she didn't have another setback.

***

Meryl smiled as she walked into their bedroom with the tray, to find her husband pulling up the covers on their bed. "Get that hot ass back in bed, and don't even think about making it!"

"Wha-" Don turned around and saw her with a breakfast tray in hand as a big smile appeared to his face when he saw his wife walking in with a tray of food. "What are you doing? The babies are still sleeping which is what you should be doing."

Meryl smiled as she laid the tray at the foot of the bed, and then got into bed next to her husband as she kissed his lips causing them both to moan happily. "Good morning, handsome."

"Good morning, beautiful." Don beamed as he ran his fingers through her hair. "You didn't answer my question. You know, Hal hasn't released you yet."

Meryl smiled as she handed him a mug of coffee just as she knew he liked it. "True. I woke up feeling so well-rested. No headache. No nausea. No tired body. No vision issues. That I wanted to make my guy and I breakfast in bed for us to enjoy on this quiet winter morning."

"Quiet?" Don smiled at her. "We live in the heart of Tribecca."

Meryl playfully slapped his arm as she placed the breakfast tray in between them. "You know what I mean."