Chapter 17

It was several days later, on Friday, and Don was being released from the hospital. He was so relieved to be going home for several different reasons: he was tired of hospital food, he wanted their babies to be in their home and most importantly he wanted his wife in their home. He was worried that she wasn't getting the rest she needed. He knew that he wasn't allowed to carry both babies at once, but he could carry at least one which meant he would be able to help her. With each day, he was becoming more and more worried about his wife. She had been through so much in the past 5 days from finding him barely breathing to putting up with his mother. He was glad that they would be going home to their Maine estate, he knew they could get rest and heal together there. He made sure there was food prepared and everything they needed, from the people he hired to take care of the estate, so his wife wouldn't have to do anything. He just hoped that would be the case.

***

"So, my beautiful wife..." Don began as he reached his hand over to rub her leg while she was driving. "What would you like to do when we get home? Have some private time in bed?"

Meryl laughed at Don, knowing he was teasing, but that he was doing so just to make her laugh. "I wish, baby, but you weren't cleared. I would like to go on record that I'm happy that is the first thing on your mind when getting back home."

"Always, gorgeous." Don reached for her free hand and kissed it. "Actually, I was thinking once we got the babies down for the afternoon nap and we ate, then we could rest together."

Meryl winked as she turned down the road leading to their estate. "I love the sound of that, but I'm really not that hungry."

"I was afraid you were going to say that." Don sighed loudly, he knew she was eating as much as she should be. "Darl, you are nursing twins, you need to get your strength up. I think you have lost weight in the past week. Please eat, please."

Meryl knew she wouldn't win this fight. While she was not very hungry after the stress of the past week, she didn't want Don to worry about her when he was trying to get well, that was the last thing he needed. She also knew she needed to keep her strength up not only for the babies but for Don as well. "How about I make my guy some tomato soup and grilled cheese?"

"Just don't go to too much work..." Don stopped what he was saying when Meryl drove up in the circle drive and he was shocked to see his mother on the front porch. "What in the fuck is she doing here?"

Meryl just shook her head. She couldn't believe it. After what happened in the hospital when Don had his confrontation with his mother, she was terrified he would have another setback. "Baby, do you feel up to pushing the babies inside in the stroller if I get them loaded up? I'll take care of her."

"No way in hell." Don said as he held his chest while leaning over the center console so he could tenderly kiss her lips. "Baby, I want you to go in through the garage, there's a ramp for the stroller, and go inside. Lock the doors."

Meryl shook her head as she pulled into the garage and closed the door. "No way in hell, not after last time. Don your heart rate was so damn high..."

"Baby, I need to do this, and I need you 3 safe." Don said as he was thinking about this sooner. "Okay, I will go inside with the 3 of you and make sure you are all okay. Then I'm going to throw that bitch off of our property."

***

"Don, what are you doing?" Meryl asked looking up from where she had been changing Mags, and he was kneeling down next to Brady on the floor to kiss his head. "Baby, you have to be so careful."

Don nodded as he tried to stand up. "I might need a little help up."

"You." Meryl laughed as she went to lay Mags down beside Brady, let Don kiss Mags and then Meryl helped him up. "Baby, I still don't think this is a good idea. I mean she could..."