Chapter 39

Don and Meryl were relaxing on the sofa after the girls fixed grilled cheese and tomato soup since Don and Meryl's lunch got cold when the girls came back in. Meryl sat up with Don's help when she saw the look on the girls' faces. "What are you three up to?"

"We think you need a distraction." Louisa said as she and her sisters sat down around the coffee table. "So, I brought a game we play at school!"

Don laughed at his daughter. "Beer pong?"

"Please, Daddy, Beer Pong is old school." Louisa teased. "We prefer to have orgies."

Meryl shook her head at her daughter. "Your father is still recovering from his surgeries, please don't give him a heart attack on top of everything else."

"This game is pretty funny." Grace said. "It's called the voting game."

Mamie nodded as Louisa shuffled the cards. "Each Round, we all vote anonymously for the player that is described by the current question from the card revealed. Then we tally the votes."

"This will be interesting." Meryl laughed as she looked at her husband. "Think you can sit on the floor, Don Man?"

Don really didn't want to try with the way his chest was hurting after Meryl kicked him during her PTSD episode the day before, but he didn't want to say that to her because he didn't want her to feel bad about. He looked over and saw the babies were still asleep and had an idea. "How about we go into the kitchen and sit around the table? Have some dessert and hot tea?"

"Tea?" Louisa scoffed teasingly. "I liked your idea of beer earlier."

Meryl shook her head. "Your father and I are on medications, and I am nursing."

"I think it's a good idea." Grace shot her younger sister a look. "I can go for some dessert."

Don helped Meryl up as they followed the girls to the kitchen, and he whispered to her. "I think we should whip the girls' butt at this game."

"Now, that is a good idea." Meryl teased back. "Let's see what we can do!"

***

The five Gummers huddled around the kitchen table were sharing lots of laughs as they ate dessert and drank hot tea. Don was so glad that this seemed to relax his wife, he was then frustrated at himself for making a big deal about the girls being there. He could tell what a wonderful time his 4 girls that were gathered around the kitchen table in Maine were having, and that meant EVERYTHING to him. Don picked up the next card. "Okay, okay. Who would you choose as a cellmate in prison? Oh, I like this one."

"Don't think about it, Gummer." Meryl laughed. "I thought we were teaming up to beat the girls?"

Louisa's head popped up. "Wait...what?!"

"This isn't a Mom and Dad versus the kids game." Grace laughed.

Mamie, as the oldest daughter, and child present, just rolled her eyes. "Please, it's always Mom and Dad versus the kids."

"What about all those times you kids ganged up on us?" Don pointed out. "DO gang up on us."

Meryl shook her head as she read everyone's card. "Now whose ganging up on whom? 4 cards for me?"

"And obviously you said Louisa." Don laughed knowing Meryl wouldn't vote for herself. "Why Lou?"

Louisa about spit out her tea. "Yes, mother dear, why me?"

"You, my 4th and hilarious child are always the life of the party. Sorry, Mai and Gracie." Meryl said making the girls all laugh. "Why me?"

Don laughed at his wife. "Are you kidding? You are the best storyteller. You have all kinds of stories. You can do an impression of ANYONE. Who needs television when you have Meryl Streep?"