Chapter 26

The next several days were low key ones for the Gummers. Don and Meryl just enjoyed being a boring married couple with infant twins. Meryl pointed out to Don that the fact they had 44-month-old twins in their 60s meant that they were far from a boring old married couple; something they both took great pride in. Meryl wanted Don to stay down as much as possible with Di and Tom's wedding on Thursday. She was hoping for a dance with her husband at the reception, and she knew he was hoping for the same.

***

"Damn it." Don cursed as he was trying to get ready for the wedding by putting on his undershirt. "Can't even put on a fucking shirt."

Meryl heard the commotion from where she was finishing getting ready in the bathroom and went into the bedroom to see Don struggling to put on his dress shirt. "Need some help, baby?"

"It's okay, I..." Don looked up as he saw his wife walk towards him in a gorgeous emerald green dress with long sleeves, a scoop neck, beautiful sequins sewn on, an empire waist with a skirt that swung when she walked. The dress stopped just above her knees, and she paired it with her suede high heeled black boots that always got his blood pumping. "Holy shit, baby, you...wow...so sexy."

Meryl smiled as she tenderly kissed his lips, careful not to mess up her makeup while she buttoned up his shirt. "Thank you, handsome. I like being able to feel your muscles under your shirt."

"I'm glad." Don said as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Thank you for helping me, it's pretty damn frustrating."

Meryl knew he was frustrated, and she didn't want him to focus on that. "Oh, I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for me."

"Oh, yeah?" Don said turning her head so he could kiss that spot underneath her ear that always got her going. "How so?"

Meryl pulled away so she could run her hands down his torso, gently, and tuck in his shirt. "Because it allows me to feel you underneath my hands. To feel your muscles. To feel your warmth. To be close to you."

"Never need a reason..." Don pulled her roughly against him as his lips descended upon hers and he backed her up against the wall. "For that..."

Meryl moaned as his lips were insistent on hers, her hands were roaming his body, and his hands went to her bare thighs under the dress. As soon as she felt his hard-on press against her belly she knew she needed to stop them She carefully put her hands on his chest and gently pushed him away. "I'm sorry, baby, I shouldn't have gotten you excited. Or myself for that matter."

"You know..." Don whispered in her ear as his fingers went to the lace panel underneath her dress between her legs. "I could take care of that for you."

Meryl shook her head as she gently kissed his lips. "Not until you can. I just want you to know that I love being able to help you. I don't want you to hurt yourself. Your health isn't worth it."

"I love being able to help you, too." Don said wiggling his eyebrows making her laugh. "I'm just sorry I can't do more."

Meryl reached for his tie that was laying on the dresser and she put it around his neck, tying it for him. "You are doing what I need you to do, get better. You have helped get the babies together. Organized things with the kids. I just want to make sure you aren't hurting too much for a dance with your wife at the reception. I hope your dance card is open."

"Hmmm....look at that. There is only one name on it." Don teased pretending to look at his dance card. "Mary Louise Gummer."

Meryl giggled as she helped him with his suit coat. "I'm glad to hear it."

"You really do look beautiful, my love." Don said softly as he put her glasses on her. "You take my breath away every day."

Meryl smiled tearfully at him. "Ditto. I've been thinking about our most recent wedding today."