Chapter 55

Don got to Meryl as soon as he could once he gave his testimony and the judge was ready to give the verdict. He immediately took her in his arms. "I love you so much. Are you okay, baby?"

"As long as I get to take you home." Meryl choked with a kiss to his lips before he went to the table with Mike and Larry. "I love you, my Don Man."

The judge couldn't help but notice how Meryl stood right behind her husband when he said his next words. "Donald James Gummer, please stand. I have made my decision."

"I love you, Don Man." Meryl stood on her tiptoes and whispered in his ear. "I'm right here."

Don looked back at her and tried to give her a smile, even though he could feel himself shaking. "I love you, baby."

"Mr. Gummer." The judge began. "First of all, let me apologize that you and your family have been put through this today. My wife has been physically hurt by other men, and if they would have tried to blame my wife I would have reacted just as you have. I have seen the evidence, I watched the security footage, and I have listened to testimony after testimony. To be honest, I am disgusted this suit has gone as far as it has. I understand innocent until proven guilty, I practice that, I uphold that. However, Mr. Raymore, YOU broke out of prison after being sentenced to life when YOU tried to kill Mr. Gummer by a hit and run. There are restraining orders after restraining orders against you. Mr. Raymore, I am adding filing false charges to your list of crimes. After hearing all the testimonies and looking closely at the evidence, I have no doubt that Mr. Gummer was acting in self-defense to protect not only his wife but also himself and their babies. Mr. Gummer is free to go, Mr. Raymore is going back to his cell. Case dismissed."

Meryl felt the breath she had been holding exhale itself in the form of tears and trembling as she held her husband from behind tighter than ever. "Thank God, oh, thank God."

"Get over here." Don choked as he pulled her into his arms and lifted her up so he could kiss all over her face. "We're going home, baby."

Meryl laughed as she carefully slapped his arm. Neither of them noticing Raymore being escorted out by the guards. Raymore was yelling obscenities at them, but all they cared about at the moment was each other. "Donald Gummer, put me down before you tear out your stitches."

"I love you so much." Don whispered as he put her down, pressing his forehead to hers as she whispered how much she loved him as well. "I'm sorry about this morning, I was just so terrified..."

"Me too, baby." Meryl smiled softly as he wiped away her tears with his thumbs, while she did the same for him. "I need you to know, that you are the BEST thing that has EVER and will EVER happen to me."

Don couldn't resist kissing her lips over and over and over again. "No, YOU are the best thing that has ever happened to ME."

"Yeah, yeah." Henry walked over to his parents sensing they could use a little comic relief. "But, I'm the best thing to happen to you both."

Suzie joined her husband. "No, I'm the best thing to happen to all three of you."

"Thank you both for being here, even though we told you not to come." Don hugged his son and daughter-in-law. "It made me feel so much better knowing you were here for your mother."

Meryl then hugged Suzie and Henry. "We love you both so much. Thank you for coming."

"I'm sure you both are exhausted." Suzie told her godparents. "How about after Hen and I pick up the baby girl, we bring supper over? I can cook whatever you want."

Henry wrapped his arm around his wife, they had all had a long day and he so appreciated her love and support for his family, but he didn't want her to cook if she was as emotionally exhausted as he felt like he was. "Or we could pick you up something if that's what sounds better to you."