Chapter 20

It was early the next morning, and Meryl heard her cell phone ring. She quickly grabbed it, before it could wake up the babies or her husband. She was relieved that her husband didn't stir, and she hoped that the babies would stay asleep. She quickly went into the bonus room and closed the door. She knew they would have to talk to him sooner or later, and she hoped she could protect her husband. "Brad? Is everything okay."

"Yes, honey." Brad said. "I'm sorry for calling so early. I've been out of town for a few days traveling with the VA on a cancer panel. I got home this morning and had a note from Jane that she was in Maine visiting you all. That makes me so happy."

Meryl took a deep breath. "Is that what she said? She was visiting us?"

"Yeah..." Brad sighed as he sat down in his office. "Let me guess, she wasn't visiting."

Meryl shook her head as she told Brad everything; she was grateful that Don didn't relieve all of it. "We weren't trying to keep you in the dark. Neither of us wanted to come between you and Jane, and we wanted you to know that nothing she does could come between you and us."

"How is Don now?" Brad asked with concern. "I talked to him the other day and knew he was being released."

Meryl smiled as she looked down at her wedding band. "So much better. I've tried to make him rest. But in true Don fashion, he was more worried about me."

"Of course he is." Brad smiled. "I don't know what to do about Jane, Meryl, I really don't. I do NOT condone how she treats you and Don. I have talked to her over and over."

Meryl sighed loudly. "I know you have, Brad, and we don't expect you to do anything. Don has tried EVERYTHING our whole lives together to get her to leave me alone, and she won't. After she left him in the snow, I was so upset and wanted to go after her, but he said when we do she retaliates. So we decided not to. Then, when she tried to have me arrested, Don, of course, wanted to go after her, but I told him that by not going after her, then he was protecting me. Brad, we don't expect you to do anything."

"She was with James for too long." Brad began to explain to his daughter-in-law. "His influence runs too deep. I want you to know that you and Don and your family are so important to me, I won't let her ruin your place in my life."

Meryl was relieved that this conversation was going so well. "We feel the exact same way as well."

***

Don stirred in bed when he thought he heard his wife's voice, but he was disappointed when she was still in bed with him. He followed the sound of her voice to the bonus room, and his heart hurt when he saw her wipe away her tears. "I just can't get the vision of her leaving him in the snow struggling for breath. Just as I know he is struggling with the vision of the police at our door ready to arrest me. She did both those things, Brad, and we can't let her touch us anymore. We just wanted to protect you by not..."

"Give me the phone, baby." Don said protectively. "You don't need to deal with this shit."

Meryl gave him a small smile as she saw him go into protective husband mode. "Baby, it's alright..."

"I'll take care of it." Don said taking the phone, and sitting in the overstuffed chair with her and pulled her to sit on his lap. "Dad, Mom started this. She attacked Meryl days ago, then she tried to come between us, then she shows up here and then she fucking pressed..."

Brad couldn't help but smile at his son. "Bogus charges. She was way out of line, son. She then tried to manipulate me in thinking all was right with her and Meryl by leaving me a note she was spending time out east with you. I called to see what was going on as I just got home from a trip, Meryl wanted to protect you and told me what was happening. She told me the plan, and I support you both unconditionally."