Chapter 67

Don and Meryl had time with all of their kids, Mike, Maggie, Suze, Liz and Larry in Larry's office once they went to go get their babies. Everyone was, of course, thrilled and relieved that Raymore would never hurt Meryl, Don and their family ever again. The kids could tell that their parents were exhausted, and the babies were fussy, so they said they would check on their parents later. Liz and Maggie offered to help Don and Meryl home with the babies so Mike and Larry could make sure Raymore was transferred, but they insisted they would be fine. Don could tell that Meryl was absolutely exhausted, if he was honest with himself then he was as well, and all they wanted to do was get their babies back into a routine. Both of them hoped things were on an upswing, and they just wanted to resume some sense of normalcy.

***

Soon as they got home, the babies were fussy and ready to eat. Once Don and Meryl got the babies fed and settled, they couldn't wait to change into their sweats and relax the rest of the day. Meryl smiled as she came out of the bathroom in the bedroom they were staying in downstairs to find the babies sleeping away. She went over and kissed their little faces and then looked around. "Where is that daddy of yours?" Meryl turned the baby monitors on, grabbed her iPad and went out to find her husband. She smiled as she found him in the kitchen, of course, making lunch for the two of them. She had tried to tell them that they could order something or just have sandwiches, but she knew he was worried about her in her healing-just as she was worried about him in his healing. "What are you doing?"

"Hey, baby." Don smiled as he walked over to her, gently kissing her forehead and then leading her to sit on one of the stools at the breakfast bar. "Babies still asleep?"

Meryl smiled as she showed him the iPad. "Yeah, I think they just needed to be in their own home away from all the tension."

"I think that makes four of us." Don teased meaning him and Meryl as well. "I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to a calm afternoon and evening with them and my girl."

"That sounds amazing to me." Meryl reached for her husband's hand. "I just hope you aren't going to too much trouble. Baby, I said we could order in. I could have cooked..."

Don shook his head as he sat a bottle of sparkling water down in front of his wife. "Oh no, you are not cooking. Hal wants you to rest so that damn concussion doesn't get any worse. Which is exactly what you will be doing."

"He wants the same for you...I want the same for you." Meryl pointed out to her husband. "You are still healing, and I'm afraid because of me your healing has been more..."

Don walked over to his wife, pressing his lips to hers, cutting off what she was saying. "Because of you, I'm alive and doing so well. I thought this might be better than take-out."

"Oh?" Meryl raised her eyebrow at her husband. "What is that?"

Don placed a plate down in front of her, and then took his when he went to sit down by her. "My wife's favorite chicken salad, warm croissants, and fruit salad. I even made some pasta salad. Would you like some of that?"

"This is perfect, Don Man, thank you." Meryl smiled as she cupped his cheek in the palm of his hand. "Baby, I really am okay. I feel so much better knowing that psychotic bastard will never get to you or the kids again. I promise."

Don was relieved, but he could tell just how worn out she was by looking at her eyes. "I feel the same way, and I am glad you are okay. However, I want you perfect. Which means I am laying down some ground rules around here until you go back to see Hal."

"Oh?" Meryl flirted with him as she ran her hand up and down the inside of his thigh. "I love my Don Man all authoritative and in control."

Don winked at her as he removed her hand from his thigh, placing a kiss in the palm of her hand. "Don't try to distract me, beautiful." Don said making her giggle as they both turned their attention to the wonderful lunch he had made for her. "You are resting. You aren't going to clean or cook or do laundry. I can see in your eyes how exhausted and worn out you are, don't even try to pretend that you're not, and you are still suffering from a SEVERE concussion. I just want that beautiful brain I love to be alright."