Chapter 58

Once Meryl had stopped dry heaving, Don scooped her in his arms and took her into their bedroom, sitting on the large overstuffed chair by the babies' cribs and set her on his lap. He held her as close as possible while running his fingers through her hair. He was grateful that her body wasn't shaking anymore and her breathing had slowed down to a calm and normal rhythm. Don kissed her head over and over. "Baby, how about I get you in bed then go and get you some crackers and ginger ale?"

"Don't go." Meryl wrapped her arms around his neck and laid his head on his shoulder. "Don't leave me. I just want us to be in the same room with the babies right now."

Don wanted to kill his mother for pulling this stunt and making his wife so upset. "I'm not going anywhere, sweetheart, ever."

"I know." Meryl sighed at herself. "I'm sorry I upset you so much by getting sick...again. I can see it in your eyes."

Don cupped her head in his hands and made her look into his eyes, he almost lost it when he looked deeply into her eyes. "YOU did NOT upset me, my mother did. But I am really worried about you. I know you getting sick stems from the concussion but all of this stress isn't helping. I want to take you to the hospital."

"Don baby, that isn't necessary." Meryl told him. "Please, I don't want to go. As you said, this is part of the concussion. So much shit has happened it just piled on top of me. I'll try not to let it..."

Don placed his finger on her lips. "You feel what you are feeling, you NEED to. Of course, all this shit is going to get to you. How can it not? I am just so fucking furious at my mom for doing this. She tried to take our babies, M."

"I know." Meryl said softly. "I know how it makes me feel, so I can't even imagine how it is making you feel."

Don felt like he could easily explode at any moment, but he didn't want to do that in front of his wife. She didn't need that. "I am too worried about you at the moment to even be concerned with her. Baby, I am so sorry. I don't know what to do."

"You are protecting us just as always, this is NOT your fault, Don Man. Not at all." Meryl knew that he would blame himself and that was the last thing she wanted. "Baby, you are the one who wanted to have her arrested and I said no."

Don nodded with a kiss to her forehead. "I want to go get you some crackers and ginger ale so you can take your medicines. But, I want to talk to you about something first."

"Okay." Meryl could tell how serious he was. "What is it, Don Man?"

Don took a deep breath as he ran his fingers through her hair. "When I found you in the bathroom you said how tired you were, and I get it, baby. I am too. I need to know, are you tired of me? Of the drama I have brought into your..."

"I could NEVER EVER be tired of you, baby." Meryl whispered as she placed a needy kiss on his lips. Sighing when she realized it couldn't go anywhere. "And you have NOT brought drama into my life. I am tired of your family treating you like shit. You, Donald Gummer, are EVERYTHING to me. I would put up with a million James and Janes if it means I get to spend my life with you."

Don breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm glad. For so long, I have been afraid my crazy ass family would take you away from me."

"Never going to happen, EVER." Meryl assured her husband. "You are the BEST thing to have ever happened to me."

"And you are the best thing to ever happen to me." Don whispered with a kiss to her forehead. "Darl, I don't know what to do anymore. I mean she tried to take our babies. We have a restraining order against her. I did talk to Nick downstairs and changed our code temporarily. We can talk about a new code tomorrow. I don't know..."