Chapter 5 *

This school year didn't go as bad as last year. Sirius kept trying to write to me and stuff but I ignored it all. I didn't want to get involved in his drama anymore. A few days before he was due to arrive, Mum was screaming and chasing Kreacher around the house until he was ordered to freeze. I look away, pity filling my chest. I didn't see him until right before we left to go to Kings Cross. He was sucking up to my mother. But she wants nothing to do with him. We ignored him as we walked out of the house I heard a crash from the kitchen but Mum didn't even flinch. "Come along now Regulus its time to go." she said calmly.

I'm not scared to admit that my Mum being calm alarmed me. She was never calm. I knew better to bring it up but Dad seemed nervous too. Whatever, it's not like I care anymore. We walk away from home and apperate like last year. This year the train was there already and I saw Sirius standing with his friends as one of the girls was dragging him towards a man. He saw us and while she was talking with the man he walked towards us and took no time at all getting out of there. I looked behind me and saw the girl looking around confused. Her confusion soon turned to anger as she saw him walking with us. She looked me strait in the eyes but I looked away and kept walking.

Half the summer went by without an incident which is very surprising. The Blacks came over again to celebrate Narcissa, Bellatrix's sister, on graduating from Hogwarts, but they only came over a few othe times.

The next evening, the Black family of number 12, Grimmauld Place in London are sitting down to dinner. In the dining room, Sirius Black is sitting next to young Regulus and opposite of his Mum. Fathers chair is empty, as usual. Mum has her wand right next to her plate while she's eating. I try not to stare at it while I force myself to eat. I feel Mum's eyes watching my every move, I know if I don't eat she'll force me by putting me under the Imperius curse. I shutter at the thought.

"I hear they're introducing Muggle Studies as a subject this year." I offer at the table.

"Yes," sighs Mum, "Your father has been particularly stern with the governors about that. It seems he was outnumbered on this occasion. I can't imagine why anyone would willing that that class."

"Well I certainly won't be taking it," I mutter.

Sirius raises his head slowly "It might be interesting to learn about muggles, don't you think?"

Mum glares at him. "I beg your pardon?"

"You can't expect much else from him dear, some of his friends are mudbloods, after all." Dad laughs.

My father walks into the dining room, sometimes I think he likes making a dramatic entrance. Tonight he doesn't look at any of us while he sits.

"Which of your friends is Muggle born?" asks Mum looking straight at Sirius.

"None of them," Sirius replies too quickly.

"Remus is," I say, smirking.

"Shut up Reg," Sirius says challenging me.

"But Lupin is a wizarding name," says Mum still staring at me.

"Remus' father a wizard," Sirius agrees.

"But his mother," I draw the words out, "is a Muggle."

"Shut up, Regulus," Sirius repeats glaring at me.

Mum shakes her head like it's a tradegy. "A wizard marrying a Muggle? Is this what the world has become?"

"Why have you never mentioned this before?" asks dad.

Sirius makes a face and keeps his mouth shut.

"Well, this is just one more reason why our plan for this school year couldn't be more timely."

Yes, the plan. I've heard this plan many times over the last two weeks. Im starting to suspect that my parents are mentioning this excessively to get a rise out of Sirius. But he won't give it to them.

"Yes Mum," is all he says, taking a bite of dinner.

"But of course," Dad adds clearly determined to needle further, "at Durmstrang you won't have the opportunity to fall with that kind of rot."

"Remus' family aren't rot," Sirius adds hotly, I can see the regret instantly. Mums nostrils flare at the display of defiance. Her head covers her wand.

Sirius grimaces as his hand moves to his fork and then to his mouth. I look away, knowing full well he's under the Imperius curse. One of Mum's favorite.

She's tried it a few times on me but it never lasted long. Luckily neither if us will have to deal with her in a few days, we'll both be off at Hogwarts soon enough.