Chapter 7 *

"Fuck you," Sirius gasps.

I flinch when I hear them call out the curse again. Sirius falls ragged and limp to the ground when she releases him.

"Tomorrow," starts Dad quietly, and I just barely have the presence of mind to be glad that he looks a little shaken, "we are cutting your hair. Any repeat of this performance," he flexes his burned hand, "and there will be consequences. Now go to bed.

My parents turn and disappear into the drawing room without looking at Sirius. When he can finally stand up straight he comes to the door where I'm sitting in the stairs.

"Merlin's left nut, Sirius," I breathe when I sees him. He tries to force a grin, but it's no good. I narrow my eyes in concern. Blood drips down his face. "Are you alright?"

"Never better," he replies. His shoulder shake.

"Did she curse you again?" I ask, knowing full well she did. Sirius frowns.

"You know she did, Reg." To this I say nothing, but I look down at the key in my hands and I look back up at Sirius.

"I unlocked the door for you," I say quietly. His body freezes.

"What?"

"The front door. It's unlocked."

"How.... I've been trying it out for days. Alohomora doesn't work with the lock."

"No but the key does." I flip the key over in my hand.

"The key that Mum keeps shoved down her chest or somewhere unholy like that?" Sirius tries to laugh.

"Around her neck actually," I correct, holding up a bronze key, raising an eyebrow. "I stole it when she was in the bath this morning."

"But she was wearing it tonight," Sirius breathes.

I shrug. "A simple duplicating spell." Sirrius was staring at me like I was mental. Maybe I am (A/N: in this au they can use magic out of school) "I know you've been planning to leave. So, go." I say flatly. Sirius looks back at the door skeptically.

"Come with me," he gasps, sounding far more desperate then he probably wanted it to.

"You know I can't Sirius." My voice sounds sad but resigned.

"Regulus!" Our Dads voice rings across the house. Footsteps come through the dining room.

"Go," I hiss. Sirius hesitates. "Sirius go!"

Sirius strides towards the door and wrentches it open. He glances back once more and I nod at him from the door way. He looks away and runs down the street.

I wait until I can't see Sirius. Then I walk quickly over to the door to close it. Just as I go back to the stairs Dad shows up.

"Where is he?" he demands looking up the stairs.

I hesitate, "He left."

"HE WHAT? HOW?"

"I don't know I just heard the door shut. I came downstairs and he was gone." I say avoiding his eyes.

He looks down at me, glaring but he doesnt say anything. He turns and half walks, half runs, into the kitchen asking if Mum still has the key. I don't hear her reply but I already know what it is. I walk upstairs with my hands in my pockets feeling the key in my hand, knowing Sirius is safe for right now at least.

Once I get upstairs I walk slowly down the hall, looking at all the heads of past house elfs that have served my family. I walk past my room and go to Sirius'. His door is still open, I hesitate but I walk in. All over his walls are Gryffindor flags. I know he has put charms on them because Mum hasn't taken them down yet.

I walk over to his desk. I don't dare read the few letters he has actually gotten from friends, without Mum and Dad getting them. But on his desk he has to picture frames. One is of me and him at a really young age. It was our family picture, they had made us dress up and we both hated it. I suddenly burst out laughing remembering his face right before we took this picture. I set it back down. The other picture is of four boys. It was his friends from King's Cross last year. I picked it up and the four waved at me then started laughing. I smiled and opened the back and like I thought Sirius had written names on the back. Remus, James, Me, and Peter. I put it back in the frame and put back on his desk. I took one last look around his room longing he was here. I reluctantly walked out of his room and I closed it softly behind me. I could still hear Mum and Dad freaking out downstairs but I walked back to my room and closed the door behind me. I took a shuttering breath as I felt like I was going to burst. I'm so scared I won't be accepted like he was. He has his friends, all of them. All I have is family, not even that. I've treated Sirius so bad this summer.