Chapter 6 *

After what seems like the longest meal of my life, my parents finally rise from the table. I keep my eyes on Mums wand, but in the end it's Dad who calls Sirius over, a stillness sweeping across the room as he speaks.

"Come here Sirius," he says quietly. He knows better than to disobey a direct order from our father, so Sirius crosses the room to stand in front of him. Sirius raises his chin defiantly.

"What?" He asks. My Dad rasies an imperious eyebrow and draws his wand on Sirius in an instant.

"That insolent tone won't do you any favors son," Dad says, his voice almost bored. "Your hair is getting far to long," he add, revealing why he called Sirius over.

"I like it long," Sirius replies sharply. He glances at me but I keep my eyes angled down.

"Oh, you like it?" says Dad smoothly. "He likes it," he turns to Mum. Her face turning red with rage.

"Well in this family, we have standards. And they do not include scruffy, girly haircuts for eldest sons and heirs."

I can see something unpleasant beginning to form. "Reggie, go upstairs," Sirius says.

I scoff and shake my head, "Why would I do that?"

Sirius' eyes meet mine, begging me. "Please Reg," he whispers, and he makes a small gesture while saying this, touching two fingers to his cheek. I roll my eyes but I stand up and leave. I stay within hearing and just out of view. I can still see them.

"Sirius whatever melodrama you have planned, spare us," says Dad, "I've had a long day. We're going to cut this ridiculous hair and that's the end of it."

"I'm not cutting it." He says simply.

"You will do what your told," spits Dad, the first sign of emotion in his voice now.

"No thanks," Sirius grins, pure adrenaline running through him. Dads manner becomes slow, as though he's trying to show he isn't bothered. I've always been terrified of him though I would never say it out loud. Dad does know it, of course, can see it in my eyes; can feel it in the air.

Sirius is filled with recklessness as well as fear now, his fight or flight reflexes set on fight, as they usually are. He raises his chin again. "I'm not cutting it," he repeats.

Dad nods, as if that's perfectly fine, and then reaches out a rough hand that Sirius was not prepared for, grabbing his son by the hair and forcing his head back.

"A simple severing charm ought to do the trick, dear," he says to Mum.

"Try it," Sirius hisses in warning, though I have no idea what may follow said threat. At no point in my head did I imagine Sirius would be dangling in the air by Dads hand. Sirius glares at them both.

Now Mums approaching us with her wand aloft, a look of triumph in her eyes. Sirius struggles against our fathers grip, all while knowing its useless. His hair will not not long through this night. One way or another it will be cut or ripped out.. I close my eyes and hear Mum begin to shriek "Diffindo!" But just as she does, Dad cries out in pain and drops Sirius to the ground with a loud thud. I open my eyes and Sirius jumps to his feet instantly, throuvh the door I see Dad rubbing an a grey red welt on the palm of his hand. He glares at Sirius. "Only children lose control of their magic, Sirius," he spits, looking disgusted.

Sirius touches his hair, making sure it was still attached to his head. He backs away from our parents. I grimace knowing full well he's going to regret what he just did.

"Crucio," spits Mum without hesitation, and Sirius suddenly doubles over in agony. This isnt the first time he has been put under this curse by Mum, but even I know there is no getting used to it. There is so much pain; nothing but pain. The curse stops and Sirius pushes himself shakily to his feet, his chest heavily. A challenge. A challenge he'll die for.